Thank you for your interest in joining Boston Children's Hospital Volunteer Services!
We are fortunate that there are so many individuals interested in volunteering at Boston Children's Hospital. We presently have a diverse, trained group of more than 300 individuals who selflessly devote thousands of hours each year to support the hospital staff and our patients and families. Whether playing with children during wait times or helping families find their way in the halls, the volunteers at Boston Children's Hospital make a difference providing a special human connection that often eases the stress for patients and families going through difficult times.
To learn more about the current volunteer positions that are available through Volunteer Services, please visit the following pages below.
- Current Opportunities to view open, individual volunteer assignments on the main campus in Boston.
- Volunteer Opportunities at Satellite Locations to view all open volunteer assignments at our satellite locations.
- Volunteer Opportunities in Boston to view information and recruitment directions regarding our One Year Program.
Overview of volunteer roles
Volunteers at Boston Children's Hospital perform a wide array of duties throughout the organization. Here is a brief description of the two main roles which are open to volunteer applicants. Volunteers are allowed to play with children or to complete non-medical tasks. Volunteers must be mindful of patient privacy and confidentiality is respected at all times; individual illnesses are not discussed.
- Inpatient/Clinic Volunteers: Interact with patients, siblings and families at the bedside, in the playroom or waiting room area to provide opportunities for developmentally appropriate play and socialization which may include holding infants/toddler, engaging in art, reading and taking part in structured activities with patients. Additionally, the volunteer would assist their supervisor with any other needs, such as unit programming, preparing materials for special events and helping organize and maintain a safe, clean environment while assisting with toy washing.
- Customer Service Volunteers: Create welcoming atmosphere at main entrance of hospital and provide way finding assistance to all patients, families and guests. Assist patients and families at time of discharge from the hospital. Deliver flowers and balloons to patients and families throughout the hospital. Additionally, customer service volunteers engage with patients and siblings through play-based activities in the Hale Family Center for Families.
Other volunteer programs
Volunteer Services is in close communication with other volunteer-reliant programs, including:
- Patient Family Housing Programs: These programs provide affordable accommodations to families. Volunteers assure that families are comfortable and occupied during their stay. There are opportunities at two locations – Devon Nicole House at 21 Autumn St., and Yawkey Family Inn at 241 Kent St. Please visit the Patient Family Housing Program website for more details.
- Pawprints: Therapy-centric dog visitation program at Boston Children’s Hospital, Main Campus. Volunteers bring in their dog, and come in for a certain amount of time each month. The goal of Pawprints is to provide hospitalized children and their families with a healthy diversion from the usual hospital routine and an opportunity for social interaction. Please visit the Pawprints website for more details.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.