The Summer Adult Program for 2023 is full, and we are no longer accepting applications. Please visit this webpage in February 2024 for information regarding the 2024 program.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Boston Children’s Hospital. The Summer Adult Program gives those who are 18 and older and out of high school the chance to volunteer on an inpatient unit. Please review all information below to learn more.
- two eight-hour shifts per week for eight consecutive weeks, starting in early June and ending in mid to late August
- shifts will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays only
- 18 years or older and out of high school
- submit an application and reference form by the given due dates
- agree to complete the full volunteer commitment
- attend a Zoom interview
- attend the mandatory volunteer training
Frequently asked questions
We find that volunteers that are most successful in the volunteer role are reliable, communicative, mature, and take initiative.
It depends on what the needs are throughout the hospital, and our spots are limited. We are anticipating taking up to five volunteers for the Summer Adult Program.
We understand that summer can be a busy time for all. However, we do ask candidates that know they are going away for a part of the summer to wait and apply next year.
We ask that applicants only apply to one program at a time. If available to commit to the One-Year Program (Summer Start), we recommend applying to the One-Year Program, as spots in our summer-only program are very limited.
Please feel free to make a note of your preferences within your volunteer application. We will do our best to accommodate requests, but all placements are based on the volunteer need. Per hospital policy, we are unable to place volunteers on a unit where you have received care, have a family member/friend working in that area, or another personal connection to the area.
- Start thinking about who your reference may be: A reference form is required for every volunteer application. A reference can be anyone in a professional capacity that is not a family member or friend (e.g., teacher, manager, etc.).
- Mark your calendars: Be sure to apply during the posted recruitment dates. Since we do have a high level of interest, any applications submitted after our recruitment dates will not be accepted.