PET Protocol/FDG Brain Tumor Protocol
Adult- NPO for 4 hours prior to F-18 FDG injection (water encouraged).
Infant- NPO for 2 hours prior to F-18 FDG injection (water encouraged). I.V. or hep lock is necessary along with a possible sedation order.
Radiopharmaceutical: F-18 FDG
Dose: Determined by patient weight with minimum and maximum values.
Adult- 5 - 15 mCi
Pediatric- 0.5-10.0 mCi (0.143 mCi/kg)
Acquisition mode: 3D
Acquisition time: 6 mins
Attenuation correction: Performed using measured with 3 min transmission scan with segmentation applied.
- Patient is interviewed for pertinent medical history and discussion of PET procedure.
- Injection of F-18 FDG is made with the patient in supine position. After the injection the room lights are dimmed. The patient is instructed to stay awake but quiet. Approximately 80% of the glucose localization occurs in 20 minutes, so movement and/or sedation may proceed 20 minutes after injection.
- Patient is asked to empty bladder after injection.
- Imaging begins at 40-60 minutes post F-18 FDG injection
- Patient is positioned in PET head holder.
- Patient is asked to empty bladder post scanning; hydration and frequent bladder emptying are encouraged.
- Any variation in the above technique should be brought to the attention of the PET attending physician.
- Any possibility of pregnancy and/or breastfeeding must be ruled out prior to injection/inhalation of radioactive material.
To download a PDF version of this protocol, click below