We are fortunate that there are so many individuals interested in volunteering at Boston Children's Hospital. We presently have a diverse, trained group of more than 1,000 individuals who selflessly devote thousands of hours each year to support the hospital staff and our patients and families. Whether playing with children during waiting times, helping families find their way in the halls or answering phones, the volunteers at Children's make a difference providing a special human connection that often eases the stress for patients and families going through difficult times.
How to Begin
Thank you for your interest in joining Boston Children's Volunteer Services!
The application process for the Summer 2015 session is closed. Please visit us again later this Spring for information regarding the Fall program.
Also, please check back periodically as we will post open assignments as they become available.
Currently, the following volunteer program is actively seeking applicants:
- Cultural Navigator Volunteers - Work closely with our International Health Center and Front Line Team to welcome patients and families from around the world and acquaint them with the Boston Children's Hospital community. We are seeking bi-lingual and multi-cultural volunteers that are fluent in Arabic and Spanish! The minimum age requirement for the Cultural Navigator volunteer position is 18 years and the position requires a one year calendar commitment.
Please contact the Volunteer Office at email@example.com if you are interested in this opportunity.
Once You're Accepted
The following steps are mandatory:
- Complete Massachusetts and Federal Criminal Background Check
- View online Orientation Presentations and complete Orientation Quiz
- Attend a 3.5 Hour Training Session - there will be a May 2015 training date and a June 2015 training date
- Complete Health Screening at Occupational Health. You will be asked to provide the following documentation.
- Rubella/German Measles
- Varicella/Chicken Pox
- Tuberculosis Screening
- Flu Vaccine (if volunteering between December and April)
- If you do not have documentation, Occupational Health will provide the screening free of charge.
Off-site locations (daytime/weekday only):
- Boston Children’s at Lexington
- Boston Children’s at Peabody
- Boston Children’s at Waltham
- Martha Eliot Health Center, Jamaica Plain (Spanish fluency very helpful)
Off-site Volunteer opportunities include:
- Meet and greet patients and families, escort families to their destination
- Create short term activities to occupy patients and siblings in waiting areas.
- Help keep areas safe and healthy.
Do not hesitate to contact the Volunteer Services Department at 617-355-7885 with any questions or concerns.