Thank you for your interest in joining Boston Children's Hospital Volunteer Services!
We are fortunate that there are so many individuals interested in volunteering at Boston Children's. We presently have a diverse, trained group of more than 1,000 individuals who selflessly devote thousands of hours each year to support the hospital staff and our patients and families. Whether playing with children during waiting times, helping families find their way in the halls or answering phones, the volunteers at Children's make a difference providing a special human connection that often eases the stress for patients and families going through difficult times.
The application process for a Fall 2015 start is closed.
Please check back periodically as we will post open assignments as they become available. Visit the Special Assignments page where you will find current opportunities.
Opportunities at Boston Children's Hospital's Main Campus
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Greet and direct families and patients to appropriate destination.
- Escort families and patients to sites throughout the hospital. Bilingual skills are helpful.
- Assist patients and families at time of discharge.
- Answer phones, assemble packets, file, copy & collate and complete data entry in offices.
- Play with children and siblings in waiting areas, in play areas, in the Emergency Department's waiting room and at bedsides.
Volunteer placements include:
- In patient care areas
- In offices and departments
- In Main Lobby or throughout the hospital
- Ambulatory Care Areas
- Emergency Department
Patient Family Housing Programs (21 Autumn Street and Kent Street): The Patient Family Housing Program provides affordable accommodations to families. Volunteers assure that families are comfortable and occupied during their stay.
Pawprints: (Boston Campus / weekdays only). Pawprints is Boston Children's therapy dog visitation program. Boston Children's Hospital volunteers own the dogs. The goal of Pawprints is to provide hospitalized children and their families with a healthy diversion from the usual hospital routine and an opportunity for social interaction. Learn more about Pawprints. For more information, visit our website.
Off-site locations (daytime/weekday only):
- Boston Children’s at Lexington
- Boston Children’s at Peabody
- Boston Children’s at Waltham
- Martha Eliot Health Center, Jamaica Plain (Spanish fluency very helpful)
Off-site Volunteer opportunities include:
- Meet and greet patients and families, escort families to their destination
- Create short term activities to occupy patients and siblings in waiting areas.
- Help keep areas safe and healthy.
Do not hesitate to contact the Volunteer Services Department at 617-355-7885 with any questions or concerns.