Your Dermatology appointment
When you arrive at the hospital, proceed to the front desk on Fegan 6 to check in. We suggest arriving 10 to 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time as you will be asked screening questions and may need to wait in line. You will be able to update any demographic information, as well as pay your copay and any existing balances on the account upon check-in.
During your visit
You may be asked if you are willing to have your child participate in a clinical research study or clinical trial. All clinical research is approved by the Boston Children’s Institutional Review Board (IRB). Participation in any research study is always voluntary.
After your visit
After the visit is completed, make sure:
- prescriptions are refilled
- school, camp, or work forms are completed
- additional testing visits or follow-up appointments are scheduled
You can access the patient portal to see your clinical notes, lab results, or to contact your provider. At any time, do not hesitate to ask one of our staff for assistance or information.
Preparing for your virtual visit in the Dermatology Program
To have a virtual visit, you will need the following:
- a mobile device, tablet, or computer with Wi-Fi connection
- Zoom application downloaded to your device
- patient registration through MyChildren’s Patient Portal
After your virtual visit is scheduled, you will receive a confirmation email with the date, time, and name of the provider joining the visit. One hour before your scheduled visit time, you will receive an email with the secure link to access your virtual visit.
If you are a NEW patient, complete the new patient history questionnaire emailed to you five days before your visit. If your visit is scheduled within five days, you will receive the email upon scheduling.
To provide the best possible care for the patient, the Dermatology Care Team requires you to send photos to your provider through the MyChildren's Patient Portal within five days of your visit. Use the tips below to learn how to take and send a photo.
At the time of the virtual visit:
- Ensure that the patient is present and awake.
- Make sure the patient is in a well-lit room, preferably facing a window.
- Log in and join the meeting 15 minutes before your visit.
- Use Wi-Fi although depending on your connectivity, data may work better.
- If you have any issues, please call the Digital Health Customer Service Team at 617-919-4390. It's open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays.
Before your visit to Boston Children’s Hospital, check with your primary care doctor to see if an insurance referral is required. Bring the appropriate referral forms and authorization numbers with you. In addition, you should bring:
- the name and complete address of the patient’s primary care doctor
- medical records including, but not limited to, their growth chart, immunization records, x-rays, blood tests, skin test results, and medications
- any forms required by the patient’s daycare or school