Your Dermatology appointment
When you arrive at the hospital, proceed to the front desk on Fegan 6 to check in. We suggest arriving 10 to 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time as you will be asked screening questions and may need to wait in line. You will be able to update any demographic information, as well as pay your copay and any existing balances on the account upon check-in.
During your visit
You may be asked if you are willing to have your child participate in a clinical research study or clinical trial. All clinical research is approved by the Boston Children’s Institutional Review Board (IRB). Participation in any research study is always voluntary.
After your visit
After the visit is completed, make sure:
- prescriptions are refilled
- school, camp, or work forms are completed
- additional testing visits or follow-up appointments are scheduled
You can access the patient portal to see your clinical notes, lab results, or to contact your provider. At any time, do not hesitate to ask one of our staff for assistance or information.
Preparing for your virtual visit in the Dermatology Program
To have a virtual visit, you will need the following:
- a mobile device, tablet, or computer with Wi-Fi connection
- Zoom application downloaded to your device
- patient registration through My Children’s Patient Portal
Once the appointment is scheduled, you will receive an email with the Zoom link, meeting ID, and password.
Your doctor requires proper photos to provide adequate service and diagnosis for your child. Before your virtual visit, you will need to send photos via the MyChildren’s Patient Portal following the instructions below. Photos will need to be uploaded within seven days of the appointment.
- Go to "Email a Provider" in Messaging.
- Choose "Compose a message."
- In the "To" section, begin typing your provider's name and select it when it appears.
- Select one of the given subjects.
- Click "Choose File" and upload images; there is a 10 GB size limit.
- Under "Message" include the date in which photos were taken. (Ex. "Taken 04/01/20").
- Send Message.
Additionally, to prepare for your visit, you will need to:
- review the patient user guide for virtual visits with Zoom
- If you are a NEW patient, complete the new patient history questionnaire that will be emailed to you five days before your visit. If your visit is scheduled within five days you will receive the email upon scheduling.
At the time of the virtual visit:
- Ensure that the patient is present and awake.
- Make sure the patient is sitting in a well-lit room, preferably facing a window.
- Log in and join the meeting five minutes before your visit.
- Use Wi-Fi but depending on your connectivity, data may work better.
- Call the virtual visit support line if you have any issues at 617-919-4390.
Before your visit to Boston Children’s Hospital, check with your primary care doctor to see if an insurance referral is required. Bring the appropriate referral forms and authorization numbers with you. In addition, you should bring:
- the name and complete address of your child's primary care doctor
- medical records including, but not limited to, their growth chart, immunization records, x-rays, blood tests, skin test results, and medications
- any forms required by your child’s daycare or school