Researcher | Research Overview
Maria’s current work in the Machlus laboratory focuses on using omics to unravel megakaryocyte differentiation and maturation.
- Phosphoproteomic Analysis of Platelets in Severe Obesity Uncovers Platelet Reactivity and Signaling Pathways Alterations.
Barrachina MN, Hermida-Nogueira L, Moran LA, Casas V, Hicks SM, Sueiro AM, Di Y, Andrews RK, Watson SP, Gardiner EE, Abian J, Carrascal M, Pardo M, García Á. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2021 Jan;41(1):478-490. doi: 10.1161/ATVBAHA.120.314485. Epub 2020 Nov 5.
- Analysis of platelets from a diet-induced obesity rat model: elucidating platelet dysfunction in obesity.
Barrachina MN, Morán LA, Izquierdo I, Casanueva FF, Pardo M, García Á. Sci Rep. 2020 Aug 4;10(1):13104. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-70162-3.
- A Comprehensive Tyrosine Phosphoproteomic Analysis Reveals Novel Components of the Platelet CLEC-2 Signaling Cascade.
Izquierdo I, Barrachina MN, Hermida-Nogueira L, Casas V, Morán LA, Lacerenza S, Pinto-Llorente R, Eble JA, de Los Ríos V, Domínguez E, Loza MI, Casal JI, Carrascal M, Abián J, García A.
- GPVI surface expression and signalling pathway activation are increased in platelets from obese patients: Elucidating potential anti-atherothrombotic targets in obesity. Barrachina MN, Sueiro AM, Izquierdo I, Hermida-Nogueira L, Guitián E, Casanueva FF, Farndale RW, Moroi M, Jung SM, Pardo M, García Á.
- A Combination of Proteomic Approaches Identifies A Panel of Circulating Extracellular Vesicle Proteins Related to the Risk of Suffering Cardiovascular Disease in Obese Patients. Barrachina MN, Sueiro AM, Casas V, Izquierdo I, Hermida-Nogueira L, Guitián E, Casanueva FF, Abián J, Carrascal M, Pardo M, García Á.
Researcher | Research Background
Maria received her B.S. biotechnology degree from the University of Valencia, Spain, in 2014, followed by her M.Sc in R&D drugs from the University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain, in 2015. After that, she conducted her Ph.D in the lab of Prof. Angel Garcia at Center of Molecular medicine and chronic diseases (CiMUS), Santiago de Compostela. During her Ph.D, she studied the effect of obesity on platelet reactivity using a combination of proteomic, biochemical and functional approaches in order to elucidate potential anti-atherothrombotic targets in this pathology. Moreover, she collaborated on other projects such as studying the CLEC-2 signalling pathway by phosphoproteomics, lipid rafts composition following CLEC-2 and GPVI activation and identifying novel inhibitors against GPVI and CLEC-2 receptors.