Researcher | Research Overview
Dr. John Arnold has combined his clinical interest in mechanical ventilation with a research career focused on lung protective ventilation in both animal models and in humans. Past projects have studied the effects of high frequency oscillatory ventilation when combined with perfluorocarbons to provide optimal lung protection. He has led a research team that has measured changes in regional lung compliance to provide optimal tidal volumes and end expiratory volumes in both animals and humans. Most recently, his laboratory team has focused on computational medicine and applied machine learning to develop novel decision support tools to improve the quality and efficiency of care in the intensive care unit.
Researcher | Research Background
Dr. Arnold has been able to combine his roles as an experienced clinician, medical director of Respiratory Care and the Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Program, a mentor to many now successful clinician-scientists and an active translational researcher to become a national and international leader in the management of pediatric acute respiratory distress syndrome.
- Rettig JS, Smallwood CD, Walsh BK, Rimensberger PC, Bachman TE, Bollen CW, Duval EL, Gebistorf F, Markhorst DG, Tinnevelt M, Todd M, Zurakowski D, Arnold JH. High frequency oscillatory ventilation in pediatric acute lung injury: a multicenter international experience. Crit Care Med 2015;43:2660-2667.
- Walsh BK, Davis MD, Hunt JF, Kheir JK, Smallwood CD, Arnold JH. The effects of lung recruitment maneuvers on exhaled breath condensate pH. J Breath Res 2015. DOI: 10.1088/1752-7155/9/3/036009.
- Walsh BK, Betit P, Fink JB, Pereira LM, Arnold JH. Characterization of ribavirin aerosol with small particle aerosol generator and vibrating mesh micropump aerosol technologies. Respir Care 2016;61:577-585.
- Walsh BK, Smallwood CD, Rettig JS, Thompson JE, Kacmarek RM, Arnold JH. Categorization in mechanically ventilated pediatric subjects: a proposed method to improve quality. Respir Care 2016;61:1168 –1178.
- Walsh BK, Smallwood CD, Rettig JS, Kacmarek RM, Thompson JE, Arnold JH. Daily goals formulation and enhanced visualization of mechanical ventilation variance improves mechanical ventilation score. Respir Care 2017;62:268–278.
- Smallwood CD, Walsh BK, Arnold JH, Gouldstone A. Equilibration time required for respiratory system compliance and oxygenation response following changes in positive end-expiratory pressure in mechanically ventilated children. Crit Care Med DOI: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000003001.
- Ventre KM, Arnold JH. Acute parenchymal disease in pediatric patients, in Vincent J-L, Abraham E, Moore FA, Kochanek PM, Fink MP, (eds.), Textbook of Critical Care (7th edition), Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2017, 500-518.
- Rettig JS, Arnold JH. Dexmedetomidine in the PICU: can we get more for less? Pediatric Crit Care Med 2017;18:893-894.