Researcher | Research Overview
- Health-related social needs and improving families access to social services (HelpSteps)
- Internet-based management of chronic diseases (TriVox Health)
- Injury prevention/fire arm violence
Researcher | Research Background
Eric Fleegler, MD, MPH is a pediatric emergency physician and health services researcher at Boston Children’s Hospital. He was a political science major at Brown University, earned his medical degree at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and his masters in public health at the Harvard School of Public Health. He has 14 years’ experience leading large-scale research projects and performing injury prevention research with a focus on violence and firearm fatalities. He is the founder and director of HelpSteps (www.helpsteps.com), a web and mobile-based system for helping families with social problems connect to social services, which is the backbone referral system for the Boston Public Health Commission. He is also the co-founder and co-director of TriVox Health (www.trivoxhealth.com), a web and mobile system used clinically to manage over 5000 patients with chronic diseases, including ADHD, asthma, autism, depression, anxiety, epilepsy, and other conditions. TriVox Health is currently in use in 10 clinics at Boston Children’s Hospital and a growing number of outside institutions. His injury work has focused on evaluating the role of legislation in reducing injury fatalities, especially related to firearms, and understanding the epidemiology of firearm violence. He is the recipient of over two-dozen grants and has published over 30 original research articles including in JAMA Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, JAMA Pediatrics, the American Journal of Preventive Medicine and others.
- Families' health-related social problems and missed referral opportunities. Fleegler EW, Lieu TA, Wise PH, Muret-Wagstaff S. Pediatrics. 2007;119(6):e1332-1341.
- Attempts to Silence Firearm Injury Prevention. Fleegler E, Monuteaux M, Bauer S, Lee L. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2012: 42(1):99-102.
- Firearm Legislation and Firearm-Related Fatalities in the United States. Fleegler EW, Lee LK, Monuteaux MC, Hemenway D, Mannix R. JAMA Intern Med. 2013;173(9):732-740.
- Firearm ownership and violent crime in the United States: An ecological study. Monuteaux MC, Lee LK, Hemenway D, Mannix R, Fleegler EW.Am J Prev Med 2015. 49(2):207-214.
- Improving Social Determinants of Health: Effectiveness of a web-based intervention. Hassan A, Blood EA, Pikcilingis A, Krull E, McNickles L, Marmon G, Woods ER, Fleegler EW. Am J Prev Med. 2015 Dec;49(6):822-31.
- Geographic Disparities in Access to Agencies Providing Income-related Social Services. Bauer S, Monuteaux M, Fleegler EW. Journal of Urban Health. 2015; 92(5): 853-863.
- County Poverty Concentration and Disparities in Unintentional Injury Deaths: A Fourteen-Year Analysis of 1.6 Million U.S. Fatalities. Karb RA, Subramanian SV, Fleegler EW. PLoS One. 2016 May 4;11(5):e0153516.
- Food Insecurity and the Burden of Health-Related Social Problems in an Urban Youth Population. Baer TE, Scherer EA, Fleegler EW, Hassan A. J Adolesc Health. 2015 Dec;57(6):601-7.
- Pain and Prejudice. Fleegler EW, Schechter NL. JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Nov;169(11):991-3.