Researcher | Research Overview
Cheng-Hao Chien is the 2-photon Manager in the Cellular Imaging Core at IDDRC / Kirby Neurobiology Center. He is responsible for 2-photon in vivo microscopy and mouse surgeries. He helps users with the experiment design, image acquisition, and cranial window implantation to advance their research. In addition, he works with the Assistant Director on user trainings, current instrument maintenance, and future upgrade plans for the Imaging Core.
Researcher | Research Background
Cheng-Hao Chien received his BS/MS in Physics from National Taiwan University and his PhD in Biophotonics from National Yang-Ming University, Taiwan in 2014. During his PhD he was working on development and applications of advanced imaging microscopy such as 2-photon microscopy, fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy (FLIM), and Raman / CARS microscopy to biomedical research. He completed his postdoc training at Department of Neuroscience, Tufts University School of Medicine, where he used genetically-encoded biosensors, 2-photon lifetime imaging microscopy, and electrophysiology to study the kinase activity of a group of neurons in mice. After postdoc training he joined Olympus Corporation of the Americas in 2020 as Associate Product Manager, responsible for 2-photon microscopes and customized imaging solutions for life sciences. He joined the Cellular Imaging Core at IDDRC / Kirby Neurobiology Center as 2-photon Manager since June, 2021. He is responsible for 2-photon in vivo microscopy and mouse surgeries to help users with their experiments and research.
- J Xu, CL Bartolome, CS Low, X Yi, CH Chien, P Wang, D Kong, “Genetic identification of leptin neural circuits in energy and glucose homeostases” Nature, 556, 505-509 (2018).
- JA Felsted, CH Chien, D Wang, M Panessiti, D Ameroso, A Greenberg, G Feng, D Kong, M Rios, “Alpha2delta-1 in SF1+ neurons of the ventromedial hypothalamus is an essential regulator of glucose and lipid homeostasis” Cell Reports, 21(10), 2737-2747 (2017).
- WW Chen*, YH Yi*, CH Chien, KC Hsiung, TH Ma, YC Lin, SJ Lo, TC Chang, “Specific polyunsaturated fatty acids modulate lipid delivery and oocyte development in C. elegans revealed by molecular-selective label-free imaging” Scientific Reports, 6, 32021 (2016).
- YH Yi*, CH Chien*, WW Chen, TH Ma, KY Liu, YS Chang, TC Chang, SJ Lo, “Lipid droplet pattern and nondroplet-like structure in two fat mutants of Caenorhabditis elegans revealed by coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering (CARS) microscopy” Journal of Biomedical Optics, 19(1), 011011 (2014).
- WW Chen*, CH Chien*, CL Wang, HH Wang, YL Wang, ST Ding, TS Lee, TC Chang, “Automated quantitative analysis of lipid accumulation and hydrolysis in living macrophages with label-free imaging” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 405(26), 8549-8559 (2013).
- TY Tseng, CH Chien, JF Chu, WC Huang, MY Lin, CC Chang, TC Chang, “Fluorescent probe for visualizing guanine-quadruplex DNA by fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy” J. Biomedical Optics, 18(10), 101309 (2013).
- CH Chien, WW Chen, JT Wu, TC Chang, “Investigation of lipid homeostasis in living Drosophila by coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy” Journal of Biomedical Optics, 17(12), 126001 (2012).
- CH Chien, WW Chen, JT Wu, TC Chang, “Label-free imaging of Drosophila in vivo by coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering and two-photon excitation microscopy” Journal of Biomedical Optics, 16(1), 016012 (2011).