Graduate Training Opportunities | Overview
Fellows interested in developing career as Clinician-Innovators have diverse interests and training needs. There is no individual training program that is ideally suited for all trainees. As such, fellows will meet with their research mentors, collaborators, and fellowship and division leadership.
Clinical or Patient-Oriented Research:
- The Institutional Centers for Clinical and Translational Research (ICCTR) at Boston Children’s Hospital provides support to investigators at all stages of protocol development and study conduct. The ICCTR collaborates closely with the Committee on Clinical Investigation to ensure that research is designed in such a way as to maximize benefits and minimize risks to human subjects who enroll in the clinical trials. The ICCTR offers shared interdisciplinary resources to all clinical researchers at Boston Children's Hospital. Coursework, typically available free of charge in the form of seminars or longitudinal programs, includes:
- Introduction to Clinical Research
- Orientation for New Study Coordinators
- Introduction to Biostatistics with SPSS
- Power and How to Get It
- Do-it-Yourself Data Management
- Beyond Chi-squares: Drawing Inferences from Tables
- Statistics for Small Sample Size Studies
- Introduction to Statistical Genetics
- The Pediatric Health Services Research Fellowship Program promotes the training and career development of trainees interested in pursuing the burgeoning discipline of academic medicine that addresses gaps in medical care or cost-effectiveness. This two-year program is focused on the promotion and delivery of equal access to safe, effective, timely, efficient, equitable, and patient-centered medical care.
- The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) is an independent organization centered in Cambridge, MA and dedicated to reducing error and waste in the delivery of healthcare. Numerous education and training opportunities are offered by the IHI in the form of conferences, didactic programs, and web-based training.
Medical Education and Curriculum Development:
- The Masters of Medical Sciences in Medical Education is a two-year program centered on providing trainees with the skills necessary to achieve leadership positions in academic divisions and medical schools. This comprehensive program, centered at Harvard Medical School, will promote the development of superlative teaching skills and the insight and understanding necessary to promote innovations in the ways in which we educate consumers, providers and administrators of health care.
- The Harvard Macy Institute is a collaborative effort of Harvard Medical School, the Harvard Graduate School of Education, and Harvard Business School. The program promotes the study and promotion of innovative approaches to the delivery of medicine and the education of health care providers both in the US and around the world. Programs offered through the Harvard Macy Institute include:
- The Program for Educators in Health Professions
- Systems Approach to Assessment in Health Professions Education
- Leading Innovations in Health Care and Education
- The Rabkin Fellowship in Medical Education was established to provide individuals with the skills necessary to take positions as innovators in medical education and academic administration.
- The Carl Shapiro Institute for Education and Research at Harvard Medical School and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center provides education and resources to support innovative programs in medical education.
- The Jerome H. Grossman Graduate Fellowship is offered through the Harvard Kennedy School and the Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Business and Government. This fellowship supports the training of physicians interesting in promoting meaningful changes in the delivery of healthcare. This is a highly competitive program and provides tuition for trainees to pursue a Master’s Degree in Public Policy (MPP) or Public Administration (MPA).
- Innovating in Health Care is a program offered on-line and by classroom participation through HarvardX program. This course addresses the development of entrepreneurial opportunities in health care technology.