Boston is one of the most historic cities in the United States and is the global hub to the world’s leading hospitals and educational institutions such as Harvard University and MIT.
Regardless of the amount of time you and your loved ones will be spending in Boston, we want your visit to be as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. Below are resources to help you become more acclimated to Boston:
Before you arrive/what to bring
- medical records (in English)
- all of your child’s medications
- medical equipment
- appointment letter
- passports/visas (check visa requirements)
- I-94 document
- purchase flights
- book accommodation
- proper attire for current weather conditions
The weather in Boston varies greatly depending on the time of year. The warmer months tend to be from the end of May until beginning of September, while the colder months are from November to March. We always recommend wearing layers of clothing when visiting Boston as the temperature may vary throughout the day.
Hotels and short-term rentals
- Many local hotels and inns offer discounts to the families of patients of Boston Children’s Hospital
- If your stay will be longer than a week, we recommend a short-term rental in a local apartment
Homewood Suites by Hilton 111 Boylston St, Brookline, MA 02445 +1-617-232-1487
Hampton Inn & Suites 811 Massachusetts Ave, Boston, MA 02118 +1-617-445-6400
The Baldwin at Longwood Medical Centre 49 Worthington St, Roxbury Crossing, MA 02120 +1-617-879-1634
The Inn at Longwood Medical 342 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115 +1-617-731-4700
Holiday Inn Boston-Brookline 1200 Beacon St, Brookline, MA 02446 +1-617-277-1200
The Verb Hotel 1271 Boylston St, Boston, MA 02215 +1-617-566-4500
Beacon Inn 1087 Beacon St, Brookline, MA 02446 +1-617-566-0088
Sheraton Boston Hotel 39 Dalton St, Boston, MA 02199 +1-617-236-2000
- Family Housing: up to 35 families can qualify for shared living spaces for $30 per night including living room areas, a communal kitchen, shared private bathrooms, free internet access, free laundry facilities, wheelchair accessibility, and a 24-hour staff.
- Hospitality Homes: provides temporary housing in volunteer host homes and other donated accommodations for families and friends of patients seeking care at Boston-area medical centers.
- The Ronald McDonald House: provides low-cost accommodations for families and patients receiving oncology treatment at Boston Children’s Hospital and the Dana-Farber/Boston Children’s Cancer and Blood Disorders Center.
- Patients must be under 21 years old, be receiving treatment for cancer or other life-threatening hematological diseases, and live more than 30 miles outside of Boston. Rates are $10 per night or $200 per month.
For more information on affordable accommodations, contact the Patient Family Housing Program at +1-617-919-3450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting around Boston
Rental car companies at Logan Airport:
- Enterprise 15 Transportation Way, East Boston, MA 02128
- Dollar Rent a Car 100 Tomahawk Dr, East Boston, MA 02128
- Hertz 156 Tomahawk Dr, Building 42 a, Boston, MA 02128
- Avis Car Rental 15 Transportation Way Boston Logan Intl Airport, Boston, MA 02128
- Alamo Rent A Car 15 Transportation Way, East Boston, MA 02128
- Budget Car Rental 15 Transportation Way, East Boston, MA 02128
- E-Z Rent-A-Car 100 Tomahawk Dr, Boston, MA 02128
- Thrifty Car Rental 100 Tomahawk Dr, Boston, MA 02128
- Boston Logan Airport Car Service 6 Tomahawk Dr, Boston, MA 02128 +1-617-663-8283
- Boston Taxi Service & Taxi Co 28 Academy Ct, Boston, MA 02119 +1-617-331-9583
- Boston Royal Limo & Cab 850 Summer St #203, Boston, MA 02127 +1-857-342-0170
The MBTA is Boston’s public transportation system and the most economic and quick way to get around the city. The “T” sign refers to the subway trains that go through Boston. A Charlie Ticket or Charlie Card can be utilized on all buses and subway trains in Boston.
The commuter rail is also operated by the MBTA. This train system is used for more long distances to transport passengers in and outside of the city.
Bluebikes are Boston’s public bike share system with stations all throughout the city. These widely available bikes are a great affordable option while experiencing the city like a local.
Resources and attractions
- International Halal Market (Middle Eastern Food) 1433 Tremont St Boston, MA 02120
- Tropical Foods (Latin American) 450 Melnea Cass Boulevard Roxbury, MA 02119
- Star Market (General) 33 Kilmarnock St Boston, MA 02215
- Whole Foods Market (Organic) 1028 Beacon St Brookline, MA 02446
- Trader Joe’s (Organic) 1317 Beacon St Brookline, MA 02446
- Bazaar on Beacon (European) 1432 Beacon St Brookline, MA 02446
- The Butcherie (Kosher) 428 Harvard St Brookline, MA 02446
- Hong Kong Supermarket (Asian) 1 Brighton Avenue Boston, MA 02215
- Kaba African Market 29 Roxbury St Boston, MA 02119
- Prudential Center Boston 800 Boylston St Boston, MA 02199
- Copley Place 100 Huntington Avenue Boston, MA 02116
- Faneuil Hall Marketplace 4 S Market Street Boston, MA 02109
- Cambridge Side 100 Cambridgeside Pl Cambridge, MA 02141
- Target 1341 Boylston St, Boston, MA 02215
- Marshall’s 126 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum 25 Evans Way, Boston, MA 02115
- Boston Children's Museum 308 Congress St, Boston, MA 02210
- Museum of Fine Arts 465 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115
- Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum 306 Congress St, Boston, MA 02210
- New England Aquarium 1 Central Wharf, Boston, MA 02110
- Boston Public Garden 4 Charles St, Boston, MA 02116
- The Paul Revere House 19 N Square, Boston, MA 02113
- Museum of Science 1 Science Park, Boston, MA 02114
- USS Constitution Museum Building 22, Charlestown Navy Yard, Charlestown, MA 02129
Religious and spiritual support
At Boston Children's
We offer spiritual companionship to people of all faiths, including those with no religious affiliation. Chaplains are in the hospital from 8:00 to 17:00 every day and may be paged for emergencies during evening hours. You and your family are welcome to use this quiet space for your own prayer or meditation.
In the surrounding areas
Some additional places of worship in Boston include the following:
- Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center
100 Malcolm X Blvd, Roxbury, MA 02120
- Spanish Church of God
738 Parker St, Roxbury Crossing, MA 02120
- St Paul's Episcopal Church
15 St Paul St, Brookline, MA 02446
- Temple Israel (Jewish Synagogue)
477 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02215
- ISKCON Boston (Hindu Temple)
72 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02116
- Greek Orthodox Cathedral
514 Parker St, Roxbury Crossing, MA 02120