Endocrinology | Overview
The Division of Endocrinology at Boston Children’s Hospital is one of the largest and most accomplished pediatric endocrinology team of experts in the world. When you access care from our division, you have access to a truly integrated team of specialists from a range of disciplines working together to develop a personalized treatment plan for your child’s overall health and well-being.
Our program brings together experienced pediatric endocrinologists, endocrinology nurses, diabetes nurse educators, registered dietitians, and mental health professionals who are at the top of their field. They will work together to guide you and your family from diagnosis through long-term management of the symptoms to keep your child well to enjoy the wonders of childhood.
The types of endocrine conditions we treat include diabetes, disorders of growth, decreased bone mineral density, and acute and chronic disorders of the pituitary, thyroid, parathyroid glands, adrenal glands, and gonads (testicles and ovaries).These glands, and the hormones (chemical messengers) they control, play an integral role in your child’s growth and development.
Experts in caring for children’s health
We have more than 35 pediatric endocrinologists who see patients in 32,000 visits every year through our Boston campus or at one of several locations throughout Eastern Massachusetts.
Our multi-disciplinary team is trained in meeting the unique needs of pediatric patients. Since children are still developing, their needs are very different from that of adults and as such, they require clinicians who understand the challenges that may face. Children of all ages with endocrinology diagnoses can have physical and emotional affects that require a comprehensive response.
What sets our Division of Endocrinology apart?
We are experts in diagnosing and managing pediatric endocrinology disorders, from more straight forward general endocrine cases to those specialized areas that require complex treatment strategies involving a variety of specialists. We also provide a comprehensive approach to treating to the child, not just the disease.
- The pediatric endocrinologists, specialist diabetes nurse educators, dietitians, and behavioral health professionals in our Type 1 Diabetes Program work together as a team to design a customized plan of care for your child.
- We are one of the only medical centers in the country offering a dedicated, multidisciplinary program for& type 2 diabetes.
- We can evaluate your child’s bone density — safely and painlessly — in our Bone Health Program’s state-of-the-art DXA (dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry) Center.
- Our Optimal Wellness for Life (OWL) Program has been recognized as one of the most comprehensive pediatric obesity programs in the country in CHILD Magazine's surveys of the best U.S. children's hospitals.
- Our Thyroid Center is one of the only centers in the United States exclusively devoted to the care of children with thyroid nodules and cancer.
- Our Neurocrinology and Endocrinopathies of Childhood Cancer Survivors (NECS) Programs coordinate care with pediatric oncologists, hematologists, neurosurgeons, neurologists, and geneticists to provide comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of endocrine disorders related to hypothalamus and pituitary region tumors, neurofibromatosis –I, bone marrow failure disorders, and the endocrine effects of treatments for malignancies and hematologic disorders.
These are just a few of the many innovative offerings in our Division of Endocrinology. Learn more about our programs and services.