Methanol

Methanol is a toxic alcohol that is used in some industries as a solvent, pesticide, or an alternative fuel source.  Methanol is dangerous and should never be ingested, inhaled, or used as a hand sanitizer or disinfectant in the home.

Methanol can be listed on labels under many common names such as: methyl alcohol, sodium methoxide, wood alcohol, and carbinol.  See the following infographic for information about the dangers of methanol.

Hand Sanitizer Recall: Methanol has recently been linked to dangerous and recalled hand sanitizers that used methanol as an ingredient.  For more information about which hand sanitizers to avoid and to see if your hand sanitizer is on the recall list, go to: FDA Hand Sanitizer Recall. 

 

If you have any concerns, call

Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222

 

 

For more information on methanol, please visit the CDC website on Methanol.

 

methanol factsheet_english