At PHCA, we are committed to helping your child be happy and healthy. Proper nutrition is one of the foundations of good health and supports your child’s growth. Our registered dietitian provides nutrition assessment and counseling for infants, children and adolescents who have a wide range of conditions that affect diet, eating and growth.
What is a dietitian?
A dietitian is an expert in food and nutrition and uses evidence based recommendations to tailor a personal plan for your child. They understand how the body utilizes nutrients and can help identify areas of your child’s diet that may be affecting their growth or medical condition. Our dietitian works closely with our medical providers to provide coordinated treatment. Here at PHCA, our dietitian is available to provide dietary counseling for children affected by:
- Underweight, slow growth or poor appetite
- Overweight or obesity
- Food allergies or intolerance
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Picky eating
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Eating disorders
- High cholesterol or blood sugar
What to expect at your first visit
Your child’s visit will start with a complete assessment of their overall nutrition, medical information and typical diet. Our dietitian will take this information and work with you to create a personalized dietary plan that will work with your family’s schedule and living situation.
Nutrition education topics may include:
- How to add more fruits, vegetables, whole grains to your diet
- Understanding how to read a food label
- Avoiding food allergens
- Healthy cooking methods and snack ideas
- Foods to include to reverse nutrient deficiencies
- Understanding fiber and whole grains
- Healthy vs unhealthy fats
- Increasing/Decreasing calories in your child’s diet
- Mindful eating
Your dietitian will be happy to address any questions or concerns you may have. To schedule an appointment with the dietitian at PHCA, please call (978) 535-1110. Press #3 and then press option #2 (well visit).
Registered Dietitian, Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist
MS, RD, LDN