Longwood Pediatrics is a private pediatric practice that has been serving patients in the greater Boston area for more than 75 years. All of our providers maintain close ties to Boston Children’s Hospital. Our unique location in the Longwood Medical Area allows us ready access to each of the three hospitals (Children’s, Beth Israel, and Brigham & Womens) in the area.
You can read below for a little more history about the practice. You can click here to learn about all of our providers.
Two prominent pediatricians, Dr. Stewart H. Clifford and Dr. James Baty, started the pediatric practice that became Longwood Pediatrics in 1935. Dr. Clifford was one of the first neonatologists that was invited to attend babies at the Boston Lying-in Hospital.
The practice moved to 1101 Beacon Street in 1941 at the onset of WWII. By 1948, an additional three pediatricians had joined the practice, including Dr. John Hubbell. During 1948 the collection of providers took part in an NIH project, The Collaborative Project, to study the causes of Cerebral Palsy.
Shortly after 1954, the practice moved to 454 Brookline Avenue in Boston. In 1968, a final move occurred placing the partnership at 319 Longwood Avenue in Boston. The partnership gave the practice its current name, Longwood Pediatric Associates.
Dr. Mary Scott and Dr. John Cloherty were the next to join the practice. Thanks to Dr. Cloherty, the custom of making house calls was largely abandoned.
In 1979, Dr. Hubbell took a two-year sabbatical to become the Chief of Pediatrics at Jeddah Medical Center in Saudi Arabia, making room for Dr. Allen Goorin to join the Longwood team. Dr. Hubbell returned in 1982 and Dr. Leonard Rappaport joined the practice.
Several years later the practice grew to include Dr. Amy Ryan and Dr. Robert Michaels. Shortly after, the partnership expanded with Dr. Gregory Young and Dr. Louis Vernacchio. By 2008 Dr. Eleanor Menzin, Dr. Kristie Koppenheffer, Dr. Elizabeth Binney, Dr. Daniel O’Connor, and Dr. Margaret Manion had become a part of the Longwood partnership. In 2020, Dr. Katherine Shearer and Dr. Suzanne Kellam joined the practice.
Since we opened our doors in 1935, our practice has been consistently rated as one of the best in the Boston area for comprehensive pediatric care.