We are fortunate that there are so many individuals interested in volunteering at Boston Children's Hospital. We presently have a diverse, trained group of more than 700 individuals who selflessly devote thousands of hours each year to support the hospital staff and our patients and families. Whether playing with children during waiting times, helping families find their way in the halls or answering phones, the volunteers at Children's make a difference providing a special human connection that often eases the stress for patients and families going through difficult times.
1 year in a 4 hour time slot per week.
How to Begin
Thank you for your interest in joining Boston Children's Volunteer Services! Applications for Winter 2014-2015 will be accepted from September 2nd to September 26th. The winter session is not available for High School students. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications consist of the Application Form and TWO Reference forms.
To apply, click the links below for editable versions of both documents.
Reference Sheet Download
Please send the completed application to Volunteer@childrens.harvard.edu
The subject of the emails MUST state:
APPLICATION: (Last Name, First Name of Applicant)
REFERENCE: (Last Name, First Name of Applicant)
References must be submitted via e-mail by the reference.
Applications will not be considered until ALL items have been received.
You will be contacted by a staff member within 7-10 business days upon receipt of completed application and references.
We look forward to receiving your application!
If you are interested in one of the following special assignments, please contact the Volunteer Office at Volunteer@childrens.harvard.edu.
- IT Expert (basic computer maintenance, web-support, social media expertise, database management, etc.)
- Office Assistant Support- Friday opportunity (basic administrative duties including front desk coverage, answering phones, scanning and filing documents, data entry, etc.)
- Frontline Volunteers- Create welcoming atmosphere at main entrance of hospital and provide wayfinding assistance to all patients, families and guests. Bi-lingual individuals are encourage to apply.
- Fall opportunity for volunteers to visit and play with children in our very busy orthopedic outpatient waiting area. Openings are weekdays. Shifts 9-1 or 1-5. Commitment is for a minimum of six months.
Once You're Accepted
Volunteers must have a criminal background check before starting. Processing time for this is two to four weeks after acceptance into the program. Volunteers must also attend a 2-hour training session, and complete the following health screening:
- 2 Tuberculosis tests, provided by the hospital free of charge
- Proof of 2 measles, mumps and rubella vaccines or titre; or the hospital will provide free of charge
- Proof of Chickenpox by 2 doses of chickenpox/varicella vaccine, medical documentation of disease or titre or the hospital will provide free of charge
- Seasonal Flu Vaccine (Mandatory unless medically exempt)
Volunteers are allowed to play with children or to complete non-medical tasks. Patient privacy and confidentiality are respected, and individual illnesses are not discussed.
Off-site locations (daytime/weekday only):
- Boston Children’s at Lexington
- Boston Children’s at Peabody
- Boston Children’s at Waltham
- Martha Eliot Health Center, Jamaica Plain (Spanish fluency very helpful)
Off-site Volunteer opportunities include:
- Meet and greet patients and families, escort families to their destination
- Create short term activities to occupy patients and siblings in waiting areas.
- Help keep areas safe and healthy.
Do not hesitate to contact the Volunteer Services Department at 617-355-7885 with any questions or concerns.