We are fortunate that there are so many individuals interested in volunteering at Boston Children's Hospital. We presently have a diverse, trained group of more than 700 individuals who selflessly devote thousands of hours each year to support the hospital staff and our patients and families. Whether playing with children during waiting times, helping families find their way in the halls or answering phones, the volunteers at Children's make a difference providing a special human connection that often eases the stress for patients and families going through difficult times.
1 year in a 4 hour time slot per week.
How to Begin
Thank you for your interest in joining Boston Children's Volunteer Services! We have reached our capacity with requests for the winter, however, if you would like to apply for the summer, please check the website February 1, 2015 for more information. We will post open assignments as they become available. Currently, the following volunteer opportunities are listed below in the Special Assignments Section.
If you are interested in one of the following special assignments, please contact the Volunteer Office at Volunteer@childrens.harvard.edu.
- Frontline Volunteers- Create welcoming atmosphere at main entrance of hospital and provide wayfinding assistance to all patients, families and guests. Bi-lingual individuals are encourage to apply.
- Fall opportunity for volunteers to visit and play with children in our very busy orthopedic outpatient waiting area. Openings are weekdays. Shifts 9-1 or 1-5. Commitment is for a minimum of six months.
Once You're Accepted
Volunteers must have a criminal background check before starting. Processing time for this is two to four weeks after acceptance into the program. Volunteers must also attend a 2-hour training session, and complete the following health screening:
- 2 Tuberculosis tests, provided by the hospital free of charge
- Proof of 2 measles, mumps and rubella vaccines or titre; or the hospital will provide free of charge
- Proof of Chickenpox by 2 doses of chickenpox/varicella vaccine, medical documentation of disease or titre or the hospital will provide free of charge
- Seasonal Flu Vaccine (Mandatory unless medically exempt)
Volunteers are allowed to play with children or to complete non-medical tasks. Patient privacy and confidentiality are respected, and individual illnesses are not discussed.
Off-site locations (daytime/weekday only):
- Boston Children’s at Lexington
- Boston Children’s at Peabody
- Boston Children’s at Waltham
- Martha Eliot Health Center, Jamaica Plain (Spanish fluency very helpful)
Off-site Volunteer opportunities include:
- Meet and greet patients and families, escort families to their destination
- Create short term activities to occupy patients and siblings in waiting areas.
- Help keep areas safe and healthy.
Do not hesitate to contact the Volunteer Services Department at 617-355-7885 with any questions or concerns.