Dr Fu’s research interest is in the understanding of basic mechanism of retinal vascular biology, particularly the metabolic effects on diabetic retinopathy, retinopathy of prematurity, age-related macular degeneration.
About the Researcher
Dr. Fu graduated from the Department of Ophthalmology, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong with a Ph.D. in Ophthalmology in 2012 and joined Prof. Lois Smith’s group in Sep 2012 for postdoctoral training. Dr. Fu’s current focus is to investigate the effects of hormones, glucose/lipid metabolism on the progression of retinopathies.
1. ZJ Fu, S Nian, SY Li, D Wong, SK Chung and ACY Lo. Deficiency of aldose reductase attenuates inner retinal neuronal changes in a mouse model of retinopathy of prematurity. Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2015. (in press)
2. ZJ Fu, C. Lofqvist, Z Shao, Y Sun, JS Joyal, C Hurst, R Cui, L Evans, K Tian, J SanGiovanni, J Chen, D Ley, IH Pupp, A Hellstrom, LEH. Smith. Dietary ω3 polyunsaturated-fatty-acid decreases retinal neovascularization by adipose-ER-stress reduction to increase adiponectin. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2015 Apr;101(4):879-88. PMID: 25833984
3. Z Shao*, ZJ Fu*, A Stahl, JS Joyal, C Hatton, A Juan, C Hurst, L Evans, Z Cui, D Pei, Y Gong, D Xu, K Tian, H Bogardus, ML Edin, F Lih, P Sapieha, J Chen, D Panigrahy, A Hellstrom, DC Zeldin, LEH Smith. Cytochrome P450 2C8 ω3LCPUFA metabolites increase mouse retinal pathologic neovascularization. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, Brief Report, 2014. 34(3):581-6. PMID: 24458713 (* Equal Contribution)
4. ZJ Fu, SY Li, N Kociok, D Wong, SK Chung and ACY Lo. Aldose reductase deficiency reduced vascular changes in neonatal mouse retina in oxygen-induced retinopathy. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2012 53(9):5698-712. PMID: 22836764
5. Y Gong, J Li, Y Sun, ZJ Fu, CH Liu, L Evans, K Tian, N Saba, T Fredrick, P Morss, J Chen, LEH Smith. Optimization of an Image-guided Laser-induced Choroidal Neovascularization Model in Mice. PloS One. 2015. (in press)
6. J Li, C Liu, Y Sun, Y Gong, ZJ Fu, L Evans, K Tian, A Juan, Christian Hurst, A Mammoto, J Chen. Endothelial Twist1 promotes pathological ocular angiogenesis. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2014. Nov 20;55(12):8267-77. PMID: 25414194
7. AKW Lai, ZJ Fu, ACY Lo. Stem cell therapy for retinopathy of prematurity. Anatomy & Physiology. Review. 2013. 3(126), 2161-0940.
8. SY Li, ZJ Fu, ACY Lo. Hypoxia-induced oxidative stress in ischemic retinopathy. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. Review. Vol 2012. Article number 426769. PMID: 23125893
9. SY Li, FKC Fung, ZJ Fu, HHL Chan, ACY Lo. Anti-inflammatory effects of lutein in retinal ischemic/hypoxic injury: in vivo and in vitro studies. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2012. 53(10):5976-84. PMID: 22871829
10. SY Li, D Yang, ZJ Fu, T Woo, D Wong and ACY Lo. Lutein enhances survival and reduces neuronal damage in a mouse model of ischemic stroke. Neurobiology of Disease 2011.45(1): 624-632. PMID: 22024715
11. SY Li, ZJ Fu, H Ma, WC Jang, KF So, D Wong and ACY Lo. Effect of lutein on retinal neurons and oxidative stress in a model of acute retinal ischemia/reperfusion. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2009. 50(2): 836-842. PMID: 18936152.