Dr. Osganian's research interests and activities have focused on studies of youth cardiovascular health promotion including obesity, smoking cessation, and nutritional supplement interventions. She has had a leadership role in one of the largest, nationally recognized NIH-funded school-based studies of cardiovascular health promotion in the United States, the Child and Adolescent Trial for Cardiovascular Health (CATCH) as well as several other epidemiological and school or community based studies.
About Stavroula Osganian, MD, ScD, MPH
Stavroula Osganian received an MD degree from UMASS Worcester Medical School, an MPH from UMASS Amherst School of Public Health, and an ScD from Harvard School of Public Health. She completed an internship in Pediatrics at New England Medical Center Floating Hospital for Children, a Preventive Medicine residency and Preventive Cardiology research fellowship at UMASS Medical Center, Worcester.
- Osganian SK, Ebzery MK, Montgomery DH, Nicklas TA, Evans MA, Mitchell PD, Lytle LA, Snyder MP, Stone EJ, Zive MM, Bachman KJ, Rice R, Parcel GS. Changes in the nutrient content of school lunches: results from the CATCH Eat Smart Food service Intervention. Prev Med. 1996;25(4):400-12.
- Osganian SK, Stampfer MJ, Spiegelman D, Rimm E, Cutler JA, Feldman HA, Montgomery DH, Webber LS, Lytle LA, Bausserman L, Nader PR. Distribution of and factors associated with serum homocysteine levels in children: Child and Adolescent Trial for Cardiovascular Health. JAMA. 1999;281(13):1189-96.
- Nader PR, Stone EJ, Lytle LA, Perry CL, Osganian SK, Kelder S, Webber LS, Elder JP, Montgomery D, Feldman HA, Wu M, Johnson C, Parcel GS, Luepker RV. Three-year maintenance of improved diet and physical activity: the CATCH cohort. Child and Adolescent Trial for Cardiovascular Health. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1999;153(7):695-704.
- De Ferranti SD, Osganian SK. Epidemiology of paediatric metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2007;4(4):285-96. Review
- Howe CA, Freedson PS, Feldman HA, Osganian SK. Energy expenditure and enjoyment of common children's games in a simulated free-play environment. J Pediatr. 2010;157(6):936-942.
- Wilson DM, Abrams SH, Aye T, Lee PD, Lenders C, Lustig RH, Osganian S, Feldman HA; Glaser Pediatric Research Network Obesity Study Group. Metformin extended release treatment of adolescent obesity: a 48-week randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial with 48-week follow-up. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2010;164(2):116-123. PMCID: PMC3499098.
- Pbert L, Druker S, DiFranza JR, Gorak D, Reed G, Magner R, Sheetz AH, Osganian S. Effectiveness of a school nurse-delivered smoking-cessation intervention for adolescents. Pediatrics. 2011;128(5):926-936. PMCID: PMC3208959.
- Howe CA, Freedson PS, Alhassan S, Feldman HA, Osganian SK. A recess intervention to promote moderate-to-vigorous physical activity. Pediatr Obes. 2012;7(1):82-88.
- Enquobahrie DA, Feldman HA, Hoelscher DH, Steffen LM, Webber LS, Zive MM, Rimm EB, Stampfer MJ, Osganian SK. Serum homocysteine and folate concentrations among a US cohort of adolescents before and after folic acid fortification. Public Health Nutr. 2012;15(10):1818-1826. PMCID: PMC3638807.
- Pbert L, Druker S, Gapinski MA, Gellar L, Magner R, Reed G, Schneider K, Osganian S. A school nurse-delivered intervention for overweight and obese adolescents. J Sch Health. 2013;83(3):182-193. PMCID: PMC3556993.
2014 POOL Research Registry: A Registry of Obese and Overweight Youth at Boston Children’s Hospital
The Milton Fund
This project will establish a well characterized cohort of obese and overweight patients at Boston Children’s Hospital as well as a biorepository of specimens in order to conduct research to better understand the biologic mechanisms of obesity and develop new and more effective approaches to prevention and treatment.