The goals of Robert Shamberger's research are to:
- Define the optimal multimodal therapy for patients with neuroblastoma,
Ewings sarcoma and Wilms tumor with particular emphasis in the surgical
- Establish the clinical outcomes and quality of life of children with
inflammatory bowel disease and to establishhow various forms of surgical
therapy to affect those outcomes.
He established the optimal measurement for pediatric thyroid disease and is currently active in the design and analysis of
multi-institutional protocols of neuroblastoma, Wilms tumor and chest
wall sarcomas through the Children's Oncology Group.
About Robert Shamberger
Robert Shamberger received his MD from Harvard Medical School. He
completed an internship and residency in surgery at the Massachusetts
General Hospital and a fellowship in pediatric surgery at Boston Children's
Hospital and a surgical oncology fellowship at the National
Cancer Institute, Bathesda, MD.
- Shamberger RC, Holzman RS, Griscom NT, Tarbell NJ, Weinstein HJ, Wohl ME. Prospective evaluation by computed tomography and pulmonary function tests of children with mediastinal masses. Surgery 1995; 118: 468-471.
- Shamberger RC, Leichtner AM, Jonas MM, LaQuaglia MP. Long-term hepatic regeneration and function in infants and children for ulcerative colitis and familial adenomatous polyposis. J Am Coll Surg 1996; 182: 515-519.
- Shamberger RC, Masek BJ, Leichtner AM, Winter HS, Lillehei CW. Quality of life assessment following ileoanal pullthrough for ulcerative colitis and familial adenomatous polyposis. J Pediatr Surg 1999; 34: 163-166.
- Shamberger RC, Guthrie KA, Ritchey ML, Haase GM, Takashima J, Beckwith JB, D'Angio GJ, Green DM, Breslow NE. Surgery-related factors and local recurrence of Wilms tumor in National Wilms Tumor Study-4. Ann Surg 1999; 229: 292-297.
- Shamberger RC, LaQuaglia MP, Krailo MD, Miser JS, Pritchard DJ, Gebhardt MC, Healey JH, Tarbell NJ, Fryer CJH, Meyers PA, Grier HE. Ewing sarcoma of the rib: Results of an intergroup study with analysis of outcome by timing of resection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2000; 119: 1154-1161.
- Shamberger RC, Ritchey ML, Haase GM, Bergemann TL, Loechelt-Yoshioka T, Breslow NE, Green DM. Intravascular extension of Wilms tumor. Ann Surg 2001; 234: 116-121.
- Shamberger RC, LaQuaglia MP, Gebhardt MC, Neff JR, Tarbell NJ, Marcus KC, Sailer SL, Womer RB, Miser JS, Dickman PS, Perlman EJ, Devidas M, Linda SB, Krailo MP, Grier HE, Granowetter L. Ewing sarcoma/primitive neuroectodermal tumor of the chest wall: Impact of initial versus delayed resection on tumor margins, survival, and use of radiation therapy. Ann Surg 2003; 238: 563-568.
- von Allmen D, Grupp S, Diller L, Marcus K, Ecklund K, Meyer J, Shamberger RC. Aggressive surgical therapy and radiotherapy for patients with high-risk neuroblastoma treated with rapid sequence tandem transplant. J Pediatr Surg 2005; 40: 936-941.
- Kelly RE Jr, Shamberger RC, Mellins RB, Mithcell KK, Lawson ML, Oldham K, Azizkhan RG, Hebra AV, Nuss D, Goretsky MJ, Sharp RJ, Holcomb GW III, Shim WKT, Megison SM, Moss RL, Fecteau AH, Colombani PM, Bagley TC, Moscowitz AB. Prospective multicenter study of surgical correction of pectus excavatum: Design, perioperative complications, pain, and baseline pulmonary function facilitated by internet-based data collection. J Am Coll Surg 2007; 205: 205-216.
- Kelly RE Jr, Cash TF, Shamberger RC, Mitchell KK, Mellins RB, Lawson ML, Oldham K, Azizkhan RG, Hebra AV, Nuss D, Goretsky MJ, Sharp RJ, Holcombe GW III, Shim WKT, Megison SM, Moss RL, Fecteau AH, Colombani PM, Bagley T, Quinn A, Moskowitz AB. Surgical repair of pectus excavatum markedly improves body image and perceived ability for physical activity: A multicenter study. Pediatrics 2008; 122: 1218-1222.
- Granowetter L, Womer R, Devidas M, Krailo M, Wang C, Bernstein M, Marina N, Leavey P, Gebhardt M, Healey J, Shamberger RC, Goorin A, Miser J, Meyer J, Arndt CA, Sailer S, Marcus K, Perlman E, Dickman P, Grier HE. Dose-intensified compared with standard chemotherapy for nonmetastatic Ewing sarcoma family of tumors: A Children’s Oncology Group Study. J Clin Oncol 2009;27:2536-2541.
- Lillehei CW, Leichtner A, Bousvaros A, Shamberger RC. Restorative proctocolectomy and ileal pouch-anal anastomosis in children. Dis Colon Rectum 2009;52:1645-9
- Ehrlich PF, Ferrer FA, Ritchey ML, Anderson JR, Green DM, Grundy PE, Dome JS, Kalapurakal JA, Perlman EJ, Shamberger RC. Hepatic metastasis at diagnosis in patients with Wilms tumor is not an independent adverse prognostic factor for Stage IV Wilms tumor. A report from the Children’s Oncology Group/National Wilms Tumor Study Group. Ann Surg 2009;250:642-648.
- Sredni ST, Gadd S, Huang CC, Breslow N, Grundy P, Green DM, Dome JS, Shamberger RC, Beckwith JB, Perlman EJ. Subsets of very low risk Wilms tumors show distinctive gene expression, histologic, and clinical features. Clin Cancer Res 2009;15:6800-9.
- Frazier AL, Shamberger RC, Henderson TO, Diller L. Decision analysis to compare treatment strategies for Stage I/favorable histology Wilms tumor. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2010;54:879-84
- Shamberger RC, Anderson JR, Breslow NE, Perlman EJ, Beckwith JB, Ritchey ML, Haase GM, Donaldson M, Grundy PE, Weetman R, Coppes MJ, Malogolowkin M, Shearer PD, Kletzel M, Thomas PRM, Macklis R, Huff V, Weeks DA, Green DM. Long-term outcomes of infants with very low risk Wilms tumor treated with surgery alone on National Wilms Tumor Study -5. Ann Surg 2010;251:555-8.
- Yu DC, Grabowski MJ, Kozakewich HP, Perez-Atayde AR, Voss SD, Shamberger RC, Weldon CB. Primary lung tumors in children and adolescents: a 90-year experience. J Pediatr Surg 2010;45:1090-5.
- Lillehei CW, Masek BJ, Shamberger RC. Prospective study of health-related quality of life and restorative proctocolectomy in children. Dis Colon Rectum 2010;53:1388-1392
- Baker DL, Schmidt ML, Cohn SL, Maris JM, London WB, Buxton A, Stram D, Castleberry RP, Shimada H, Sandler A, Shamberger RC, Look AT, Reynolds CP, Seeger RC, Matthay KK; Children’s Oncology Group. Outcome after reduced chemotherapy for intermediate-risk neuroblastoma. N Engl J Med 2010;363:1313-23.
- Smith JR, Marqusee E, Webb S, Nose V, Fishman SJ, Shamberger RC, Frates MC, Huang SA. Thyroid nodules and cancer in children with PTEN hamartoma tumor syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010;96:34-7.
- Perlman EJ, Grundy PE, Anderson JR, Jennings LJ, Green DM, Dome JS, Shamberger RC, Ruteshouser EC, Huff V. WT1 mutation and 11P15 loss of heterozygosity predict relapse in very low-risk Wilms tumors treated with surgery alone: A Children’s Oncology Group Study. J Clin Oncol 2011;29:698-703.
- Turner D, Travis SP, Griffiths AM, Ruemmele FM, Levine A, Benchimol EI, Dubinsky M, Alex G, Baldassano RN, Langer JC, Shamberger R, Hyams JS, Cucchiara S, Bousvaros A, Escher JC, Markowitz J, Wilson DC, van Assche G, Russell RK. Consensus for managing acute severe ulcerative colitis in children: A systemic review and joint statement from ECCO, ESPGHAN, and the Porto IBD working group of ESPGHAN. Am J Gastroenterol 2011;106:574-88.
- Scholz S, Smith JR, Chaignaud B, Shamberger RC, Huang SA. Thyroid surgery at Children's Hospital Boston: a 35-year single-institution experience. J Pediatr Surg. 2011; 46:437-42.
- Hamilton TE, Ritchey ML, Haase GM, Argani P, Peterson SM, Anderson JR, Green DM, Shamberger RC. The Management of Synchronous Bilateral Wilms Tumor: A Report from the National Wilms Tumor Study Group. Ann Surg. 2011;253:1004-1010.
- Klein JD, Turner CG, Gray FL, Yu DC, Kozakewich HP, Perez-Atayde AR,Voss SD,
Zurakowski D, Shamberger RC, Weldon CB. Adrenal Cortical Tumors in Children:
Factors associated with poor outcome. J Pediatr Surg 2011;46:1201-1207.
- Lawson ML, Mellins RB, Paulson JF, Shamberger RC, Oldham K, Azizkhan RG, Hebra AV, Nuss D, Goretsky MJ, Sharp RJ, Holcome GW 3rd, Shim WK, Megison SM, MossRL, Fecteau aH, Colombani PM, Moskowitz AB, Hill J, Kelly RE Jr. Increasing Severity of Pectus Excavatum is Associated with Reduced Pulmonary Function. J Pediatr 2011; 159:256-261.
- Grigoriev Y, Lange J, Peterson SM, Takashima JR, Ritchey ML, Ko D, Feusner JH, Shamberger RC, Green DM, Breslow NE. Treatments and outcomes for end-stage renal disease following Wilms tumor. Pediatr Nephrol 2012;27:1325-33.
- Nuchtern JG, London WB, Barnewolt CE, Naranjo A, McGrady PW, Geiger JD, Cohn SL, Shamberger RC. A prospective study of expectant observation as primary therapy for neuroblastoma in young infants, a Children’s Oncology Group Study. Ann Surg 2012;256:573-80.
- Linden BC, Bairdain S, Shamberger RC, Zurakowski D, Lillehei CW. Technique of laparoscopic-assisted total proctocolectomy and ileal pouch anal anastomosis in children and adolescents: a single center’s 8-year experience. J Pediatr Surg 2012;47:2345-8.
- Ehrlich PF, Anderson JR, Ritchey ML, Dome JS, Green DM, Grundy PE, Perlman EJ, Kalapurakal JA, Breslow NE, Shamberger RC. Clinicopathologic findings predictive of relapse in children with stage III favorable-histology Wilms tumor. J Clin Oncol 2013;31:1196-201.
- Gray FL, Turner CG, Zurakowski D, Bousvaros A, Linden BC, Shamberger RC, Lillehei CW. Predictive value of the pediatric ulcerative colitis activity index in the surgical management of ulcerative colitis. J Pediatr Surg 2013;48:1540-5.
- Linden BC, Bairdain S, Zurakowski D, Shamberger RC, Lillehei CW. Comparison of laparoscopic-assisted and open total proctocolectomy and ileoanal pouch anal anastomosis in children and adolescents. J Pediatr Surg 2013;48:1546-50.
- Kieran K, Anderson JR, Dome JS, Ehrlich PF, Ritchey ML, Shamberger RC, Perlman EJ, Green DM, Davidoff AM. Is adrenalectomy necessary during unilateral nephrectomy for Wilms tumor? A report from the Children’s Oncology Group. J Pediatr Surg 2013;48:1598-603.
- Green DM, Breslow NE, D’Angio GJ, Maalogolowkin MH, Ritchey ML, Evans AE, Beckwith JB, Perlman EJ, Shamberger RC, Peterson S, Grundy PE, Dome JS, Thomas PRM, Kalapurakal JA. Outcome of patients with stage II/favorable histology Wilms tumor with and without local tumor spill. A report from the National Wilms Tumor Study Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013;61:134-9.
- Kelly RE Jr, Mellins RB, Shamberger RC, Mitchell KK, Lawson ML, Oldham KT, Azizkhan RG, Hebra AV, Nuss D, Goretsky MJ, Sharp RJ, Holcomb GW 3rd, Shim WK, Megison SM, Moss RL, Fecteau AH, Colombani PM, Cooper D, Bagley T, Quinn A, Moskowitz AB, Paulson JF. Multicenter study of pectus excavatum, final report: complications, static/exercise pulmonary function, and anatomic outcomes. J Am Coll Surg 2013;217:1080-9.
- Gupta A, Ly S, Castroneves LA, Frates MC, Benson CB, Feldman HA, Wassner AJ, Smith JR, Marqusee E, Alexander EK, Barletta J, Muyide F, Doubilet PM, Peters HE, Webb S, Modi BP, Paltiel HJ, Martins Y, Burmeister K, Kozakewich H, Hollowell M, Cibas ES, Moore FD Jr, Shamberger RC, Larsen PR, Huang SA. How are childhood thyroid nodules discovered: opportunities for improving early detection. J Pediatr. 2014;164:658-60.
- Zimmerman LA, Shamberger RC, Valim C, Bousvaros A. The effect of immunomodulators and biologics on indication for surgical bowel resection in children with Crohn’s disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis.2014;20:1015-20.
- Ferrer FA, Herbst KW, Fernandez CV, Khanna G, Dome JS, Naranjo A, Mullen EA, Geller JI, Gratias EJ, Shamberger R, Ritchey M, Ehrlich PF. Feasibility of using CT volume as a predictor of specimen weight in a subgroup of patients with low risk Wilms tumors registered on COG study AREN03B2: Implications for central venous catheter placement. J Pediatr Urol 2014;10:969-73.
- DuBois SG, Krailo MD, Gebhardt MC, Donaldson SS, Marcus KJ, Dormans J, Shamberger RC, Sailer S, Nicholas RW, Healey JH, Tarbell NJ, Randall RL, Devidas M, Meyer JS, Granowetter L, Womer RB, Bernstein M, Marina N, Grier HE. Comparative evaluation of local control strategies in localized Ewing sarcoma of bone: a report from the Children’s Oncology Group. Cancer 2015;121:467-75.
- All of Dr. Shamberger publications on PubMed