The ultimate goals of Joseph Majzoub's work are to understand how various stresses affect health.
The specific aims of the Majzoub laboratory's studies are to analyze beneficial and detrimental effects, and the regulation of, the mammalian stress response, particularly within the brain. Current research focuses on the behavioral and neuroendocrine roles of corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH), the regulation of CRH gene transcription by silencing factors, and the role of Mrap2 to modulate energy balance during stress, both in the fetus and postnatally.
About Joseph Majzoub
Joseph Majzoub received his MD from Stanford University School of Medicine. He completed an internship and residency in Internal Medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital and a fellowship in Adult Endocrinology at Massachusetts General Hospital.
He is the recipient of several teaching awards, including the A. Clifford Barger Award for Excellence in Mentoring from Harvard Medical School and the 2002 Irving M. London Teaching Award from Harvard Medical School-Massachusetts Institute of Technology Health Sciences Technology (HST) Program.
- Swartz Topor LM, Asai M, Dunn J, Majzoub JA. Cortisol Stimulates Secretion of Dehydroepiandrosterone in Human Adrenocortical Cells Through Inhibition of 3ßHSD2. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2011;96: 31-9.
- Trivedi S, Joachim M, McElrath T, Kliman H, Allred EN, Fichorova RN, Onderdonk A, Heitor F, Chaychi L, Leviton A, Majzoub JA. Fetal-placental inflammation, but not adrenal activation, is associated with extreme preterm delivery. Am. J. Ob. Gyn. 2012. 206:236.e1-8.
- Asai M, Ramachandrappa S, Joachim M, Shen Y, Zhang R, Nuthalapati N, Ramanathan V, Strochlic D, Ferket P, Linhart K, Ho, C, Novoselova TV, Garg S, Ridderstråle M, Marcus C, Hirschhorn JN, Keogh JM, O’Rahilly S, Chan LF, Clark AJ, Farooqi IS, Majzoub JA. Loss of Function of the Melanocortin 2 Receptor Accessory Protein 2 Is Associated with Mammalian Obesity. Science 2013. 341:275-8.
- Freedman BD, Bukovac-Kempna P, Carlone DL, Shah M, Guagliardo NA, Barrett PQ, Gomez-Sanchez CE, Majzoub JA, Breault DT. Adrenocortical zonation results from lineage conversion of differentiated zona glomerulosa cells. Developmental Cell 2013 S1534-5807(13)00424-3
- Thomas JL, Rajapaksha M, Mack VL, DeMars GA, Majzoub JA*, Bose HS*. Regulation of human 3ß-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 by adrenal corticosteroids and product-feedback by androstenedione in human adrenarche. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 2015. 352:67-76