Trauma care and injury prevention in children and adolescents are longstanding clinical and research interests for Dr. Lee. Her research has focused on motor vehicle child passenger safety, drowning injuries, firearm injuries, and the epidemiology of pediatric injuries. In addition she has conducted research focusing on the management of head, neck, abdominal, and orthopedic trauma. She is the site primary investigator for the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN) studies on traumatic brain injury and intra-abdominal injury. She has been elected as a member of The Society for Pediatric Research.
About Lois Lee
After earning an MD from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in 1996, she completed her Masters of Public Health in Quantitative Methods at the Harvard School of Public Health in 2003. In between that time, Lois’ residency took place at Children’s Hospital Philadelphia and she was awarded an NRSA Training Grant in Pediatric Emergency Medicine during her fellowship with Children’s Hospital Boston.
- Lee LK, Fleegler EW, Forbes PW, Olson KL, Mooney DP. The modern paediatric injury pyramid: injuries in Massachusetts children and adolescents. Inj Prev. 2010 Apr; 16(2):123-6. View in: PubMed
- Kimia A, Lee L, Shannon M, Capraro A, Mays D, Johnston P, Hummel D, Shuman M. Holiday ornament-related injuries in children. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2009 Dec; 25(12):819-22. View in: PubMed
- Kuppermann N, Holmes JF, Dayan PS, Hoyle JD, Atabaki SM, Holubkov R, Nadel FM, Monroe D, Stanley RM, Borgialli DA, Badawy MK, Schunk JE, Quayle KS, Mahajan P, Lichenstein R, Lillis KA, Tunik MG, Jacobs ES, Callahan JM, Gorelick MH, Glass TF, Lee LK, Bachman MC, Cooper A, Powell EC, Gerardi MJ, Melville KA, Muizelaar JP, Wisner DH, Zuspan SJ, Dean JM, Wootton-Gorges SL. Identification of children at very low risk of clinically-important brain injuries after head trauma: a prospective cohort study. Lancet. 2009 Oct 3; 374(9696):1160-70. View in: PubMed
- Kimia AA, Waltzman ML, Shannon MW, Mays DL, Johnston PR, Hummel D, Ben-Joseph EP, Lee LK. Glass table-related injuries in children. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2009 Mar; 25(3):145-9. View in: PubMed
- Lee LK. Surgical Emergencies: Orthopedic, Chest, and Neurosurgical. Pediatric Emergency Medicine Question Review Book. 2009.
Peer reviewed articles
- Kuppermann N, Holmes JF, Dayan PS, Hoyle JD, Atabaki SM, Holubkov R, Nadel FM, Monroe D, Stanley RM, Borgialli DA, Badawy MK, Schunk JE, Quayle KS, Mahajan P, Lichenstein R, Lillis KA, Tunik MF, Jacobs ES, Callahan JM, Gorelick MR, Glass TF, Lee LK, Bachman MC, Cooper A, Powell EC, Gerardi MJ, Melville KA, Muizelaar JP, Wisner DH, Zuspan SJ, Dean JM, Wootton-Gorges SL, for the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). Identification of children at very low risk of clinically-important brain injuries after head trauma: a prospective cohort study. Lancet. 2009; 374: 1160-1170.
- Mannix R, Bourgeois FT, Schutzman SA, Bernstein A, Lee LK. Neuroimaging for pediatric head trauma: do patient and hospital characteristics influence who gets imaged? Acad Emerg Med. 2010; 17: 694-700.
- Lee LK, Dayan PS, Gerardi MJ, Borgialli DA, Badawy MK, Callahan JM, Lillis KA, Stanley RM, Gorelick MH, Dong L, Zuspan SJ, Holmes JF, Kuppermann N, d the Traumatic Brain Injury Study Group for the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research network (PECARN). Intracranial hemorrhage after blunt head trauma in children with bleeding disorders. J Peds. 2011; 158: 1003-8.
- Pryor SD, Lee LK. Clinical outcomes and diagnostic imaging of pediatric patients with pneumomediastinum secondary to blunt trauma to the chest. J Trauma. 2011; 71: 904-908.
- Mannix R, Nigrovic LE, Schutzman SA, Hennelly K, Meehan WP, Fleisher G, Monuteaux M, Lee LK. Factors associated with the use of cervical spine computed tomography imaging in pediatric trauma patients. Acad Emerg Med. 2011; 18: 906-911.
- Fleegler EW, Monuteaux MC, Bauer SR, Lee LK. Attempts to silence firearm injury prevention. Am J Prev Med. 2012;42: 99-102.
- Thompson RW, Krauss B, Kim Y-J, Monuteaux MC, Zerriny S, Lee LK. Extremity Fracture Pain After Emergency Department Reduction and Casting: Predictors of Pain After Discharge. Ann Emerg Med. 2012; 60: 269-277.
- Mannix R, Fleegler EW, Meehan WP, Schutzman SA, Hennelly KE, Nigrovic L, Lee LK. Booster seat laws reduce fatalities and injuries in children 4-7 years of age. Pediatrics. 2012; 130: 1-7.
- Holmes JF, Lillis K, Monroe D, Borgialli D, Kerrey BT, Mahajan P, Adelgais K, Ellison AM, Yen K, Atabaki S, Menaker J, Bonsu B, Quayle KS, Garcia M, Rogers A, Blumberg S, Lee L, Tunik M, Kooistra J, Kwok M, Cook LJ, Dean JM, Sokolove PE, Wisner DH, Ehrlich P, Cooper A, Dayan PS, Wootton-Gorges S, Kuppermann N, for the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). Identifying children at very low risk of clinically important blunt abdominal injuries. Ann Emerg Med. 2013; 62: 107-116.
- Fleegler EW, Lee LK, Monuteaux MC, Hemenway D, Mannix R. Firearm legislation and firearm-related fatalities in the United States. JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 732-740.
- Kiley K, Damian F, MacClaren W, Dupuis JM, Salvatore D, Nolan M, Lee LK. A computerized child passenger safety assessment program in the emergency department. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2013: in press.
- Srinivasan S, Mannix R, Lee LK. Epidemiology of Pediatric Firearm Injuries in the United States, 2001-2010. Arch Dis Child. 2013: in press.