The smell of freshly baked cookies - The memory of a fun trip- The pain of stepping on a nail. These experiences are made possible by the most complex organ in our bodies...the BRAIN!!
- Your brain uses 20% of your body's energy, but it makes up only 2% of your body's weight
- The brain feels like a ripe avocado or a sponge and looks red because of the blood flowing through it
- Your brain weighs about 3 pounds (1,300-1,400g), is about the size of a cantaloupe, and wrinkled like a walnut
- The entire area of your skin weighs three times as much as your brain
- The brain of a small dog, like a beagle, weighs about 0.16 pounds or 72g, and a cat's brain weighs only about 0.07 pounds or 30g
- A newborn baby's brain grows almost 3 times in its first year of life
- Humans have the most complex brain of any animal on earth
- Your brain is divided into two sides. The left side of your brain controls the right
- The human brain is about 75% water
Participate in one of our studies!
We're looking for children ages 4-12 to help us with our research on reading.
- You would help us to find out whether our assistant Froggy has a brain. (Dr. Monkey will help us too.)
- You would be playing computer games and watching movies while we take pictures of your brain.
- Our brain camera records the activity in your brain while you would be comfortably lying down.
- The brain camera is completely safe and painless.
- You would have to wear metal-free clothing because the camera doesn't work properly if metal comes near it.
- If you'd like to know more details about what exactly we would be doing in the big brain camera, click here.
Why would it be fun to participate?
- You would help us learn a lot more about how the brain works.
- You would get a whole CD of neat pictures of your brain that you can take home with you and show to your friends and family! You can even design postcards with your own brain.
- You would get a gift certificate to a bookstore, so you can buy some new books and have fun reading them!
- You would get another surprise brain gift. (Shhh, we can't tell you yet!)
- By allowing us to look at your brain and find out more about how it works, you could help other children that have trouble with reading and learning in general.
Interested? You can email or call Dr. Monkey if you have any questions or would like to sign up for one of our studies. Our email address is: email@example.com
You can also call Dr. Gaab at 617-218-3021 and talk to her if you have any questions.