Sheena Chew, B.S.
Sheena is a medical student at Harvard Medical School and joined the Engle lab as a Howard Hughes Medical Institute research fellow in 2010. She graduated summa cum laude from Washington University in 2006 with a major in Biology and minor in Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology. As an undergraduate she investigated the development of retinal circuitry in zebrafish, and before she entered medical school she helped coordinate a multi-center Phase III clinical trial for ALS at Columbia University’s Eleanor and Lou Gehrig MND/ALS research center.
Sheena is working on two separate projects in the Engle lab: (1) investigating the role of TUBB3 in neural development using mouse models of CFEOM3 and (2) defining the clinical and neuroimaging findings in individuals who harbor TUBB3 mutations.
- Chew S, Lieberman G. “Moyamoya disease: an unusual presentation of stroke.” E-published on eradiology.bidmc.harvard.edu/LearningLab/central/Chew.pps. 2009.
- Chew S, Khandji AG, Montes J, Mitsumoto H, Gordon PH. Olfactory ensheathing glia injections in Beijing: misleading patients with ALS. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis 2007;8(5):314-6.
- Gordon PH, Moore DH, Miller RG, Florence JM, Verheijde JL, Doorish C, Hilton JF, Spitalny GM, MacArthur RB, Mitsumoto H, Neville HE, Boylan K, Mozaffar T, Belsh JM, Ravits J, Bedlack RS, Graves MC, McCluskey LF, Barohn RJ, Tandan R; Western ALS Study Group. Efficacy of Minocycline in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a phase III randomized trial. Lancet Neurology 2007;6(12):1045-53. (Member of Western ALS Study Group)
- Gordon PH, Cheung YK, Levin B, Andrews H, Doorish C, Macarthur RB, Montes J, Bednarz K, Florence J, Rowin J, Boylan K, Mozaffar T, Tandan R, Mitsumoto H, Kelvin EA, Chapin J, Bedlack R, Rivner M, McCluskey LF, Pestronk A, Graves M, Sorenson EJ, Barohn RJ, Belsh JM, Lou JS, Levine T, Saperstein D, Miller RG, Scelsa SN; Combination Drug Selection Trial Study Group. A novel, efficient, randomized selection trial comparing combinations of drug therapy for ALS. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis 2008;9(4):212-22. (Member of Combination Drug Selection Trial Study Group)
- Rabkin JG, Gordon PH, McElhiney M, Rabkin R, Chew S, Mitsumoto H. Modafinil treatment of fatigue in patients with ALS: a placebo-controlled study. Muscle Nerve 2009;39(3):297-303.