Children's is a world leader in opening new avenues of "translational research", bringing laboratory advances to the bedside and doctor's office as soon as possible. All senior medical staff members of the Department of Cardiology participate in clinical research activities, and many do laboratory research as well. Current projects include:
- The use of inhaled nitric oxide to reduce pulmonary hypertension.
- The further development of innovative catheterization treatments for the treatment of complex cardiac diseases.
- The use of transcatheter radio-frequency ablation to treat both simple and complex arrhythmias.
- A multi-disciplinary clinical trial studying brain function following the effects of body cooling and blood thinning (hemodilution) during open heart surgery.
- A six-center study of HIV's effect on the hearts of infants and children.
- A study of the effects of a drug (Adriamycin) on heart function is survivors of childhood cancer.
- A study of pH management strategy in infant heart surgery.
- A cross-sectional study on long-term outcome after the Fontan procedure.
- Population-based studies of clinical outcomes and resource utilization for congenital heart defects.
- Improved approaches to protecting the heart and brain in infants and children during surgical procedures.
- The design and creation of heart valves using a patient's own tissue.
- The design and evaluation of new therapeutic catheters and techniques.
- The design and evaluation of three-dimensional electrophysiological mapping techniques.
- Control of the body's inflammatory response to cardiopulmonary bypass and surgery.
- Evaluation of the biophysics of radio-frequency ablation to treat arrhythmia.
Featured researchers in the Department of Cardiology hold faculty appointments at Harvard Medical School.
Latest Research in Cardiology:
|Elizabeth Blume, MD
|Roger Breitbart, MD
||Pediatric cardiology, Cardiovascular genetics
|Frank Cecchin, MD
|David Clapham, MD, PhD
|Steven Colan, MD
||Ventricular function and cardiomyopathy
|Pierre E. Dupont, PhD
||robotic instruments and imaging technology, congenital heart defects, fetal and pediatric heart
|Amy E. Roberts, MD
||Cardiofaciocutaneous syndrome, Cardiomyopathy, Cardiovascular Genetics, Hypoplastic Left Heart
|Felix Engel, PhD
||Molecular cardiology and regeneration
|Idith Haber, PhD
|Kathy Jenkins, MD, MPH
||Device clinical trials
|Mark Keating, MD
|Bernhard Kuhn, MD
||Heart cell regeneration
|Ronald Lacro, MD
|Michael Landzberg, MD
||Adult congenital heart defects
|James Lock, MD
||Catheter-implanted devices for heart defects
|John Mably, PhD
|Audrey Marshall, MD
||Advanced fetal care
|Jane Newburger, MD, MPH
|Andrew Powell, MD
|William T. Pu, MD
|Jonathan Rhodes, MD
|Leslie B. Smoot, MD
|Ravi Thiagarajan, MD
|John Triedman, MD
|Wayne Tworetzky, MD
|Da-Zhi Wang, PhD
||Transcriptional and epigenetic control of mammalian cardiovascular development and function