Taxes: Information on Filing Federal and State Income Tax

LIke ThisLIke ThisLIke ThisLIke ThisLIke This

Note to Children's fellows:

The following three free tax assistance resources have been brought to the attention of the Office of Fellowship Training (OFT) at Boston Children's Hospital re: preparing 2009 taxes. Although we cannot vouch for their quality, we welcome your feedback:

Please note that the Harvard International Office (HIO) has CINTAX, tax preparation software (which handles non-resident federal returns), as well as a tax site written by a tax lawyer. CINTAX should have been sent to all fellows by February 4, 2010. Contact Harvard International Office if you have not received your software. The HIO tax site requires that you use your Harvard University ID (HUID) and PIN.

The Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR) has a "Free Tax Return Preparation For You by Volunteers" program. Trained community volunteers can help you with special credits, such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly for which you may qualify. In addition to free tax return preparation assistance, most sites also offer free electronic filing (e-filing).

Bentley College has a "Volunteer Income Tax Assistance" (Bentley VITA) program. This is provided by students and supervised by a professor. This is sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Both undergraduate and graduate accounting students will offer their expertise, particularly to the elderly, non-English speaking residents, low and limited income taxpayers, and individuals with disabilities.

Gail Robinson
Senior Immigration Specialist
Office of the General Counsel
Boston Children's Hospital
Karp 4
Phone: 617-355-2146 (internally, x5-2146)
Fax: 617-730-0751
Email: Gail Robinson
Web: Immigration at Children's Hospital

Please call Linda Paulsen in Payroll, x8-3393, Linda Paulsen regarding tax treaty. Payroll is located at 1295 Boylston St., 3rd floor, in the Fenway area.

Also check out the Internal Revenue Service web site (forms section)

A primer on estimated taxes (Jon Griswold, MD), 6.9.2010

Some guidance for postdocs regarding taxes from the National Postdoctoral Association

Article: Recovering FICA Tax Paid on Resident Stipends: 2010 update (Healthcare Financial Management Association,

Fellows' experiences:

"I asked our (department name) office about the Self-Employment Tax and the response was that this came up a couple of years ago as well and the legal team for Children's said we didn't have to pay this (I'm a research fellow on a T32). I was told me if I ever got a letter from the IRS about that I should give it to them and they will give it to Legal."

E-mail your experiences to Office of Fellowship Training

The future of pediatrics will be forged by thinking differently, breaking paradigms and joining together in a shared vision of tackling the toughest challenges before us.”
- Sandra L. Fenwick, President and CEO