News and Events Insights

Boston Childrens Hospital Ranks 1 on US News and World Report Best Childrens Hospitals Honor Roll

LIke ThisLIke ThisLIke ThisLIke ThisLIke This

June 5, 2012

Boston, Mass. – Boston Children’s Hospital ranks first in the U.S. News & World Report’s 2012-13 Best Children’s Hospitals Rankings Honor Roll. With evaluation results released today, Boston Children's is first in Cardiology & Heart Surgery,Nephrology, Neurology & Neurosurgery; second in Cancer, Diabetes & Endocrinology, Gastroenterology and Urology; third in Neonatology andOrthopedics; and fourth in Pulmonology. Boston Children’s partners with Dana-Farber Cancer Institute to operate the Dana-Farber/Children’s Hospital Cancer Center – an integrated pediatric oncology program.

“We’re honored by this recognition and view it as a challenge to continue to work tirelessly to improve the quality of care given to each and every family that comes through our doors,” says James Mandell, MD, CEO of Boston Children’s.

The rankings feature 50 hospitals in each of 10 pediatric specialties: cancer, cardiology and heart surgery, diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology, neonatology, nephrology, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics, pulmonology, and urology. Eighty hospitals across the country ranked in one or more specialties. Among hospitals in Massachusetts, Boston Children’s was the only hospital ranked in the top 30 in any of the specialty areas.  

“The rankings reflect the dedication of our caregivers, researchers, staff, volunteers and referring doctors across Boston Children’s community of care," adds Sandra Fenwick, President and COO of Boston Children's. “Our staff represents the finest in their fields, and it’s only through working together that we can provide such exceptional care.”

This year, U.S. News surveyed 178 pediatric centers to obtain hard data such as availability of key resources and ability to prevent complications and infections. The hospital survey made up 75 percent of the evaluation to determine rankings. A separate reputational survey in which 1,500 pediatric specialists—150 in each specialty—were asked where they would send the sickest children in their specialty made up the remaining 25 percent of data used for evaluation.

Contact:
Rob Graham
617-919-3110
rob.graham@childrens.harvard.edu

Founded in 1869 as a 20-bed hospital for children, Boston Children’s Hospital has been ranked as one of the nation’s best pediatric hospitals by U.S.News & World Report for the past 21 years. Boston Children’s is the primary pediatric teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School and the largest provider of health care to Massachusetts children. In addition to 395 pediatric and adolescent inpatient beds and 228 outpatient programs, Boston Children’s houses the world’s largest research enterprise based at a pediatric medical center, where its discoveries benefit both children and adults.More than 1,100 scientists, including nine members of the National Academy of Sciences, 11 members of the Institute of Medicine and nine members of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute comprise Boston Children’s research community. For more information about the hospital visit:www.childrenshospital.org/newsroom.

The future of pediatrics will be forged by thinking differently, breaking paradigms and joining together in a shared vision of tackling the toughest challenges before us.”
- Sandra L. Fenwick, President and CEO
Close