Sports Teams Honored at Champions for Children's Annual Fundraiser
December 1, 2010
Boston, MA - More than 1,300 of the biggest names in Boston sports and business, celebrities, hospital patients and families gathered at the event of the season for Boston sports fans-- Champions for Children's. The annual dinner and auction benefiting Children's Hospital Boston raised over $3.4 million for clinical care and research.
Guests enjoyed a Hall of Fame-themed reception filled with team mascots, cheerleaders and dancers, mingling athletes and celebrities, and more. The night continued with dinner, silent and live auctions, and a celebration of Boston sports teams' long-standing commitment to the community and to making a difference in the lives of Children's Hospital Boston patients. Patients with a personal connection to each team presented the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots, and New England Revolution owners with a "Champion Award."
Some of Boston's most prominent athletes and celebrities attended, including:
- Boston Bruins: legends Barry Pederson, Tommy Songin, Bob Sweeney, co-owners Charlie and Kim Jacobs
- Boston Celtics: player Kendrick Perkins, co-owner Bob Epstein and Esta Epstein, Judy Pagliuca
- Boston Red Sox: president and CEO Larry Lucchino and his wife, Stacey Lucchino
- New England Patriots: players Dane Fletcher, Quinn Ojinnaka, Matt Slater,legends Tim Fox, David Givens, Patrick Pass and Andre Tippett, owners Robertand Myra Kraft, Jonathan Kraft
- New England Revolution: players Matt Reis, Chris Tierney, legends Jay Heaps, Taylor Twellman
- Dropkick Murphys band member Josh "Scruffy" Wallace
- Kelly Bensimon, Real Housewives of New York
- Event host, ESPN anchor Steve Levy; event co-host, WBZ-TV sports anchor Dan Roche
- Susan Wornick, WCVB-TV; Sue Brady, Gregg Daniels and Fast Freddy, MIX 104.1
- Top business leaders including: John F. Fish, Champions for Children's chairman and Suffolk Construction CEO; Rob Griffin, Champions for Children's founding chairman and Cushman & Wakefield New England President; James Mandell, MD, Children's Hospital Boston CEO; Sandra Fenwick, Children's Hospital Boston President and COO
Fun moments included:
- Patient Reporters getting the scoop-- as only a child can-- on athletes, owners, and legends' favorite colors, foods, sports heroes, and more
- Team owners accepting Champion Awards from grateful patients
- Guests in generosity-driven bidding wars over one-of-a-kind experiences and sports memorabilia, including:
- Private luxury suite for The Monster Ball Tour featuring Lady Gaga at the TD Bank Garden (compliments of the Boston Bruins);
- Boston Bruins "A Day in Boston with Patrice Bergeron" experience for a youth hockey group;
- Boston Celtics "Shaq Pack" with game tickets, meet-and-greet and memorabilia from Shaquille O'Neal;
- Boston Red Sox "Monster" fan experience atop and inside the Green Monster and meet-and-greet with Terry Francona;
- Luxury Box at a 2011 Gillette Stadium Concert with four 50-yard line seats at the 12/6 New England Patriots/Jets game (compliments of the New England Patriots); and
- New England Revolution Soccer Clinic for kids with game tickets.
Since its inception in 1997, Champions for Children's has raised more than $20 million. For more information or to make a gift," visit www.childrenshospital.org/champions. Past Champions Award honorees include: Joe Andruzzi, Josh Beckett, Patrice Bergeron, Matt Light, Paul Pierce, Jason Varitek, Tim Wakefield, Vince Wilfork, and JoJo White.
*Event photos available via Amy Sweeney or www.wireimage.com.
About Children's Hospital Boston Children's Hospital Boston has been ranked among the top two pediatric hospitals in the country by US News & World Report for 20 years. The hospital treats kids not only from New England, but from all over the United States and the world. Children's Hospital Boston is one of the only pediatric hospitals nationwide that focuses on pairing world-class research with clinical resources to develop novel therapies to treat and cure children. Many of the hospital's scientific advancements have far-reaching implications for treating adults, too - they target diseases including prostate and breast cancer, macular degeneration, and Alzheimer's. For more information, visit www.childrenshospital.org