Boston Children's Hospital is a worldwide leader in the treatment of congenital heart defects and other heart problems in children of all ages, from babies still in the womb to adults. Our Heart Center is the largest of its kind in the world and has consistently been named the best pediatric cardiology and cardiac surgery program in the United States by U.S. News & World Report.
Our team of physicians and surgeons is internationally recognized for its expertise in congenital heart surgery, heart transplants, heart valve repair, arrhythmia, heart failure, cardiomyopathy, and more. Despite treating the most serious congenital heart conditions, we have some of the best outcomes in the world, with surgical survival rates that approach 99 percent.
We're able to achieve these exceptional outcomes because we recognize that your child is one-of-a-kind. Our commitment to providing customized care for every single patient has driven us to innovate and develop new approaches and techniques for treating congenital heart defects. At the Heart Center, you can be confident that you or your child will receive personalized, up-to-the-minute care.
Our Programs and Services
Our specialists - more than 500 in all - treat the full spectrum of heart disorders and diseases, including rare and complex conditions. Learn more about the following programs at the #1 ranked heart center:
- Adult Congenital Heart Program. With dedicated ACHD physicians we are uniquely positioned to support you at any stage of your life, offering a full range of services from diagnosis to cardiac catheterization and surgical repair.
- Cardiac Catheterization. We are home to the largest pediatric catheterization program in the U.S., with five fulltime dedicated interventional cardiologists who perform over 1,500 catheterizations each year on infants through young adults.
- Cardiac Surgery. Our pediatric heart surgery department is one of the largest in the country and one of the most specialized in the world, caring for more than 1,000 patients each year, both children and adults.
- Complex Biventricular Repair. We focus on bringing two ventricle circulation to children who are being considered for, or have undergone, single ventricle repair. We can intervene in utero, using minimally invasive approaches whenever possible.
- Congenital Heart Valve Program. We have performed hundreds of catheter-based aortic valve dilations on neonates and infants. Our dedicated team focuses on developing new methods to repair rather than replace defective heart valves.
- Electrophysiology. With six full-time pediatric electrophysiologists, we are one of the largest electrophysiology programs in the country. Our service specializes in in arrhythmias and heart rhythm problems that require a high level of expertise.
- Fetal Cardiology. As the world's experts in fetal cardiology, we intervene to save children's hearts even before they are born. We treat each patient with a tailored, personalized approach, based upon the unique characteristics of his or her heart.
See the full list of Programs and Services available at the Heart Center.
The Heart Center at Boston Children's has the largest dedicated pediatric cardiac anesthesiology department in the world. Every day, 15 anesthesiologists and five CRNAs (nurse anesthetists) staff four operating rooms, three catheterization labs, an electrophysiology (EP) lab and a cardiac MRI scanner.
Learn more about Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesiology.
We create a comprehensive care plan for every one of our patients. We work closely with your family to develop a customized plan that meets your needs, and we guide you through every step of the decision-making process -- before, during, and after medical and surgical treatments. We view family members as a vital component of the care team and welcome them on patient care units. When away from the units, family members may call at any time to speak with a nurse. Our goal is to create a safe and comforting environment for your entire family.
Whenever possible, we use minimally invasive approaches to treat heart disease. We believe strongly in choosing catheterization over open-heart surgery, repairing heart valves rather than replacing them, and using medical management in place of heart-lung bypass machines and other ventricular-assist devices. Our tradition of research and innovation ensures that our patients receive state-of-the-art treatment driven by the latest science and technology.
Our Experience and Excellence
The Heart Center is one of the most specialized in the world. Our cardiologists and heart surgeons have extensive experience with complex treatments and procedures. In 2014 alone, they performed:
- 1,500-plus cardiac catheterizations -- five times more than all other U.S. children's hospitals combined
- 886 open-heart surgeries, with a 96.8% survival rate
- 535 closed-heart surgeries, with a 99.6% survival rate
- 11 successful heart transplants
- 5 ventricular-assist device implants
- 1,193 cardiac MRIs
- 22,317 total echocardiograms (1,741 fetal)
- 658 electrophysiology procedures
- 10 fetal interventions
- 23,969 outpatient visits
Our Research and Innovation
For more than 50 years, our specialists have played a vital role in cardiac research, pioneering major advances in the care and treatment of congenital and acquired heart defects. This work continues today as we regularly participate in clinical trials. Some of our notable innovations and research initiatives include fetal cardiac interventions, catheter-based treatments, new medications for pulmonary hypertension, and the use of chemotherapy drugs in the treatment of pulmonary vein stenosis.