Facts about snake bites
Each year in the United States, about 7,000 people are bitten by venomous snakes, mostly during the summer months. Even a bite from a non-venomous snake can cause infection or allergic reaction in some children. The most important thing to remember if your child is bitten by a is to treat all snake bites as if they were venomous and get your child a hospital emergency room as quickly as possible, especially if you are unsure of the exact type of snake responsible for the bite.
With the correct treatment, a severe illness and/or death can be prevented.
What is antivenin?
Antivenin is an antitoxin specific to the venom of a particular animal or insect.
How Boston Children's Hospital approaches snake bites
The Regional Center for Poison Control and Prevention, based at Children's, provides 24-hour treatment and advice to health care professionals and the public on all types of poisoning, including snake bites. The center provides emergency care, follow-up services, seminars on toxicology and poisoning prevention and more.