Scabies is an infestation of mites. These tiny insects leave small red bumps that cause intense itching. The mites burrowing into the skin where they lay eggs that hatch a few days later cause the itching.
- Scabies is highly contagious; it spreads from close personal contact.
- It occurs mostly in children and young adults.
- Treatment includes antibiotic creams.
- If one member of your family has it, your entire family will most likely be treated as well.
- All clothing and bedding should be washed in hot water and dried in a hot dryer.