Mumps is a very contagious viral illness that usually makes a child have a fever and swollen salivary glands in his mouth and near his ear. It may also involve the central nervous system.
- It's spread from child to child.
- Children are contagious one to seven days before symptoms appear.
- A vaccine is available to help prevent the disease.
- Since it's viral, there is no cure, but is treatable.
- Early treatment to relieve symptoms helps prevent serious complications.
How Boston Children's Hospital approaches the mumps
The Children's Hospital Informatics Program created HealthMap, an online resource and smart phone app that helps track the spread of contagious diseases in real time, including the mumps.