KidsMD Health Topics

Our Health Topics

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • More than 200 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, and thousands of others develop symptoms that require emergency medical attention. Carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common cause of accidental poisoning-related deaths and is often called "the silent killer." Unborn babies, infants, children and pregnant women are especially vulnerable to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    What causes carbon monoxide poisoning?

    Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, colorless, tasteless, odorless gas that is produced from the incomplete burning of fuels that contain carbon, such as wood, charcoal, gasoline, coal, natural gas or kerosene. Breathing carbon monoxide fumes decreases the blood's ability to carry oxygen. Low levels of oxygen can lead to cell death, including cells in the vital organs such as the brain and heart.

    How Boston Children's Hospital approaches carbon monoxide poisoning

    The Pediatric Environmental Health Center at Children's offers multidisciplinary evaluation and management of children with known or suspected exposure to environmental toxins, including carbon monoxide. Our team provides the comprehensive, coordinated services if your child has been exposed to carbon monoxide. Services provided include:

    • patient evaluation: complete history and physical exam
    • laboratory testing
    • treatment provided by experienced pediatric environmental medicine toxicologists
    • prevention: Guidance and practical advice for reducing and eliminating exposures
    • telephone and/or written consultations to treating primary care providers
    • 24 hour telephone access: 1-888-Child14

    For more information, see our Pediatric Environmental Health Center site.

    Contact Us

    »
    If your child has been exposed to carbon monoxide, contact 9-1-1 immediately.
    Children's Hospital Boston
    300 Longwood Avenue
    Boston MA 02115
     617-355-6700
     fax: 617-730-0033

    »
    Children's Hospital Boston
    300 Longwood Avenue
    BK 120
    Boston MA 02115
     617-919-3071
    +
    Children's Hospital Boston
    300 Longwood Ave
    BK 120
    Boston MA 02115
     617-919-3068


  • What are some sources of carbon monoxide?

    The majority of CO exposures occur in the winter months. The most common source of residential CO-related poisoning is un-vented or faulty furnaces and heaters. Increased risk occurs anytime these products are operated in enclosed areas with poor ventilation. Other common sources of CO include the following:

    • auto exhaust
    • indoor charcoal grills
    • tobacco smoke
    • faulty fireplaces and chimneys
    • fires
    • fuel burning equipment such as gasoline engines, gas logs, and gas space heaters
    • faulty gas water heaters or clothes dryers
    • gas appliances and heaters in cabins or campers, pools, and spas

    What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

    The following are the most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. However, each child may experience symptoms differently. Some of the most common symptoms may include:

    • headache
    • dizziness
    • weakness or clumsiness
    • nausea and vomiting
    • rapid or irregular heartbeat
    • shortness of breath
    • chest pain
    • loss of hearing
    • blurry vision
    • disorientation or confusion
    • seizures
    • loss of consciousness or coma
    • cardiac arrest
    • respiratory failure
    • death

    Carbon monoxide poisoning mimics many common illnesses such as the flu and food poisoning. Always consult your child's physician for a diagnosis.

    First-aid for carbon monoxide poisoning

    If your child or other family members have any symptoms of CO poisoning, stay calm but act quickly.

    • Leave the area and get fresh air immediately. Turn off the carbon monoxide source only if you can do so safely without endangering yourself or others.
    • Call 911 or your local emergency medical service (EMS).
    • If your child has stopped breathing, start CPR and do not stop until your child breathes on his/her own or someone else can take over. If you can, have someone call 911 right away. If you are alone, perform CPR for one minute and then call 911.

    Further treatment for carbon monoxide exposure will be determined by your child's physician. Emergency medical treatment may include oxygen therapy, blood tests, chest X-ray, and a heart and neurological evaluation.

    How can you protect against carbon monoxide poisoning?

    According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 200 people each year die in the US from carbon monoxide poisoning that comes from fuel-burning appliances such as space heaters, furnaces, ranges, and water heaters. Burning charcoal inside a house, garage, vehicle, or tent is also responsible for carbon monoxide-related deaths. Carbon monoxide poisoning is the cause of several thousand visits to hospital emergency rooms each year.

    • Have your furnace and fireplace cleaned and inspected before each heating season. Have other fuel burning appliances checked regularly.
    • Use non-electrical space heaters only in well-ventilated areas.
    • Do not start or idle gas lawn mowers, cars, trucks, or other vehicles in an enclosed area, even with the garage doors open.
    • Vent fuel-burning appliances outside whenever possible.
    • Do not ever use a charcoal grill inside your home, garage, tent, or camper.
    • Do not use portable heaters or lanterns while sleeping in enclosed areas such as tents, campers, and other vehicles. This is especially important at high altitudes, where the risk of CO poisoning is increased.
    • Read and follow manufacturer instructions and precautions that come with any fuel-burning device.
    • Do not ever use a gas oven for heat inside your home.
    • Use an approved carbon monoxide detector with an audible alarm inside your home.
    • When gasoline-powered generators are used to supply electricity, care should be taken to keep the generator a safe distance away from the home.
  • Boston Children's Hospital is home to the Pediatric Environmental Health Center, which provides comprehensive, coordinated services for children exposed to environmental toxins. As well as offering clinical care, the center is researching important questions in pediatric environmental health, including:

    • How do lead and mercury affect children of different ages?
    • What is the best way to treat children with lead and mercury poisoning? When should medications that bind metals be used?
    • For adolescents that work: what type of toxic exposures do they have, and how can overexposures be prevented?
    • What do other health professionals, such as pediatric primary care providers, need to know about pediatric environmental health?
    • What are the best ways to promote education about pediatric environmental health issues?
Request an Appointment

If this is a medical emergency, please dial 9-1-1. This form should not be used in an emergency.

Patient Information
Date of Birth:
Contact Information
Appointment Details
Send RequestIf you do not see the specialty you are looking for, please call us at: 617-355-6000.International visitors should call International Health Services at +1-617-355-5209.
Please complete all required fieldsThis department is currently not accepting appointment requests onlineThis department is currently not accepting appointment requests online

Thank you.

Your request has been successfully submitted

You will be contacted within 1 business day.

If you have questions or would like more information, please call:

617-355-6000 +1-617-355-6000
close
Find a Doctor
Search by Clinician's Last Name or Specialty:
Select by Location:
Search by First Letter of Clinician's Last Name: *ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
More optionsSearch
Condition & Treatments
Search for a Condition or Treatment:
Show Items Starting With: *ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
View allSearch
Visitor Information
The future of pediatrics will be forged by thinking differently, breaking paradigms and joining together in a shared vision of tackling the toughest challenges before us.”
- Sandra L. Fenwick, President and CEO
Close