Bee stings are one of the unfortunate side effects of beautiful, warm weather and flowering greenery. For most people, bee stings are merely annoying, but for others, bee stings may be potentially fatal.
- About two million people in the United States are allergic to bee stings.
- Three percent of children who are stung will experience allergic reactions.
- In the most severe cases, an allergic reaction to a bee sting can cause anaphylactic shock, requiring treatment with a shot of epinephrine.
- About 100 Americans die every year from bee stings.
How Boston Children's approaches bee stings
One of the most important things you can do for your child is to recognize whether he or she may have an allergy to bee stings. At Children's, we can help you figure out if your child is at risk, what tests are necessary, what treatments are needed and how to avoid bee stings in the first place.