Arachnoid cysts are fluid-filled collections between the brain or spinal cord and the arachnoid member, one of three membranes covering the brain and spinal cord.
- The cysts contain normal spinal fluid that likely accumulates in early development before birth
- Arachnoid cysts are very common
- Most form on the brain; spinal cord cysts are much more rare
- Males are four times more likely to have arachnoid cysts than females
- Most do not need treatment and have no effect on brain development
How Children’s approaches arachnoid cysts
Boston Children's Hospital has exceptional plastic and neurosurgeons who can help assess whether or not your child's arachnoid cysts need treatment. Boston Children's Department of Plastic Surgery is one of the largest of its kind in the country and specializes in minimally invasive surgery. Their goal is for your child to have a speedy recovery with little to no scaring or long-term side effects.