Dr. Vakili is a surgeon who specializes in transplantation of liver, kidney, and intestines. His clinical practice also encompasses surgical treatment of liver tumors as well as various vascular procedures. Dr. Vakili’s basic science research involves liver regeneration, liver tumor biology, and liver tissue engineering.
Significant efforts are underway in identifying targets for therapeutic enhancement of liver regeneration for the treatment of liver failure for which there is no existing medical therapy. In addition, Dr. Vakili has developed a liver tumor bank which is used to develop better diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic strategies for the treatment of pediatric liver cancers.
- Vakili K, Pomposelli JJ, Cheah YL, Akoad M, Lewis WD, Khettry U, Gordon FD, Khwaja K, Jenkins RL, Pomfret EA. Living-donor liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma: Increased recurrence but improved survival. Liver Transplantation. 2009; 15(12): 1861-6.
- Cauley RP, Suh MY, Kamin DS, Lillehei CW, Jenkins RL, Jonas MM, Vakili K, Kim HB. Multivisceral transplantation using a 2.9 kg neonatal donor. Pediatric Transplantation. 2012 Dec 16(8): E379-82.
- Kim HB, Vakili K, Modi BP, Ferguson M, Guillot AP, Potanos KM, Prabhu S, Fishman SJ. A Novel Treatment for Midaortic Syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2012 Dec 13; 367(24):2361-2.
- Vakili K, Fullington NM, Cauley RP, Potanos KM, Lee SI, Turner CG, Ferguson M, Lock, JE, Kim HB. Aortomesenteric and Renal Allograft Transplant: A Novel Treatment for Midaortic Syndrome. American Journal of Transplantation. 2013 Apr; 13(4):1088-92.
- Cauley RP, Vakili K, Potanos K, Fullington N, Graham DA, Finkelstein JA, Kim HB. Deceased donor liver transplantation in infants and small children: are partial grafts riskier than whole organs? Liver Transpl. 2013 Jul; 19(7):721-9.
- Porras D, Stein DR, Ferguson MA, Chaudry G, Alomari A, Vakili K, Fishman SJ, Lock JE, Kim HB. Midaortic syndrome: 30 years of experience with medical, endovascular and surgical management.Pediatr Nephrol. 2013 Jun 18.
- Bairdain S, Modi BP, Kim HB, Mooney DP, Durkin E, Vakili K. Pediatric blunt abdominal aortic injury and the use of intra-operative aortic ultrasound for surgical decision making. J Pediatr Surg. 2013 Jul; 48(7):1584-7.
- Cauley RP, Vakili K, Fullington N, Potanos K, Graham DA, Finkelstein JA, Kim HB. Deceased-donor split-liver transplantation in adult recipients: Is the learning curve over? J Am Coll Surg. 2013 Oct; 217(4):672-684.
- Vakili K and Kim HB. Partial esophageal transplant is possible as part of a multivisceral graft. Am J Transplant 2014 Mar;14(3):720-3.