- Anesthesiology Perioperative and Pain Medicine
- Division of Perioperative Anesthesia
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1985
St. Mary's Hospital and Medical Center, 1985-1986
San Francisco, CA
University of California Davis Medical Center, 1986-1989
Boston Children's Hospital, 1989-1990
Research Focus Area
1. Anesthetic neuromodulation of the developing brain.
This basic science work encompasses two themes:
1. Adhesion molecules and cerebral ischemia/injury
2. Anesthetic-induced neuromodulation of the developing brain.
He has published several studies demonstrating the essential role of adhesion in cerebral ischemia. Ongoing studies with Dr. Koichi Yuki now look at the effects of anesthetics on adhesion molecule function; with the intention of using them as anti-inflammatory agents in the setting of anesthesia and critical care. The effect of anesthetic neurotoxicity is an area of investigation that has significant impact on the practice of pediatric anesthesia. With the perspective of a pediatric anesthesiologist, Dr. Soriano is utilizing clinically relevant paradigms in preclinical models to interrogate potential pathways of anesthetic neuromodulation.