Dr. Nurko's research focuses on Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders in children. His main interest is in the areas of mechanisms of defecation and fecal continence, constipation, non-acid reflux , functional bowel disorders, pseudo-obstruction, postoperative problems after GI surgery and Hirschsprung's disease. He is actively involved in a number of clinical trials and outcomes research studies .
The main goals of Dr. Nurko's research, is to:
- Determine the mechanisms for fecal continence in children
- Determine the role that non-acid reflux plays in children with gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Find better treatments for children with motility disorders
About Sam Nurko
Dr. Nurko was awarded his MD from the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico. Residency and fellowship was completed at Children's Hospital, Boston.
- Morera C, Nurko S. Influence of sacral roots on anorectal function. A study of patients with isolated sacral agenesis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2003; 37:47-5
- Nurko S, Teitelbaum JE , Husain K, Buonomo C, Fox VL , Antonioli D, Fortunato C, Badizadegan K, Furuta G. Association of Schatzki Ring with Eosinophilic Esophagitis in Children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2004; 38:436-41
- Rosen R, Buonomo C, Andrade R, Nurko S.Incidence of spinal cord lesions in patients with intractable constipation. J Pediatr. 2004 Sep;145(3):409-11.