Insect Stings Symptoms & Causes

LIke ThisLIke ThisLIke ThisLIke ThisLIke This

What are the symptoms of an allergic reaction to an insect sting?

For most children, the reaction to an insect sting is short-lived, lasting only a few hours; redness and swelling are followed by itching and mild pain. But if your child is allergic to the insect, the reaction can be life-threatening; this is called anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock, and it can include severe symptoms such as:

  • Itching and hives over most of the body
  • Swelling of the throat and tongue
  • Trouble breathing
  • Dizziness
  • Headache
  • Stomach cramps, nausea or diarrhea
  • Rapid drop in blood pressure
  • Shock
  • Loss and consciousness

If your child experiences any of these symptoms after being stung by an insect, seek immediate medical attention.

Is there any way to prevent insect stings?

The following steps may help prevent stings:

  • Tell your child to be careful when eating or drinking uncovered foods or beverages outdoors, as these items may attract insects.
  • Encourage your child to wear close-toed shoes when walking in grassy areas.
  • Watch out for insect nests in trees, shrubs and flower beds, and around wood piles, swimming pools and trash containers.
Boston Children’s is so much more than a hospital—it’s a community of researchers, clinicians, administrators, support staff, innovators, teachers, patients and families, all working together to make the impossible possible. ”
- Sandra L. Fenwick, President and CEO

Boston Children's Hospital
300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115
For Patients: 617-355-6000
For Referring Providers: 844-BCH-PEDS | 844-224-7337