- All children, regardless of lipids and CVD risk, should follow a low saturated fat diet (<10% of total calories).
- Pattern of eating should follow the DASH diet—high in fruits and vegetables and whole grains.
- Low fat or no fat dairy may be started at age 1 year, depending on clinical circumstance and CVD risk.
Intensified diet counseling strategies are provided for children with high LDL, and high TG levels.
- To lower LDL, keep dietary cholesterol < 200mg/dY and saturated fat <7%. Can add fiber supplement 6-12 grams per day.
- To lower TGs, reduce refined/simple carbohydrates, avoid sugar sweetened beverages, increase dietary omega-3 fatty acids.
We want to hear from you
We are interested in discussing these issues with you. As primary care providers who are expert in screening and health maintenance, your perspective and experience are extremely important and valuable to us. To consult with one of our pediatric preventive cardiologists, please call 617-355-0955, or email email@example.com.