Audiology Program, Habilitative
Sound Outreach to Schools
The Sound Outreach to Schools (SOS) Educational Audiology Program at Boston Children's Hospital at Waltham has been developed to deliver a full spectrum of Educational Audiology services to children with all types of auditory disorders in our local school systems.
Services can be provided to an individual student or to multiple students within a district. Contracts are typically established for ongoing consultation throughout the school year but can also be provided on a one-time basis.
Services may include:
- Recommendations for accommodations, including assistive listening systems
- Verification of these systems to determine proper fit and function
- Training of teachers and students to use and maintain educational amplification systems and to optimize the student's auditory access
- Maintenance and record-keeping of existing equipment
- Loaner equipment that can be borrowed by the school while a system is being repaired
- Assessment of the classroom listening environment and recommendations for improvements as needed
- Presentations to groups of students about hearing loss and hearing protection
For more information, please contact:
Lauralyn M. Chetwynd, AuD, CCC-A
Charlotte Mullen, AuD, CCC-A