The Dana-Farber/Children's Hospital Cancer Center (DF/CHCC) Leukemia Program is a top leukemia treatment center for children and adolescents with all forms and stages of leukemia—the most common childhood cancer.
Our program offers a wide range of leukemia treatment options, as well as comprehensive diagnostic and consultation services and long-term follow-up care. Our leukemia doctors are highly skilled and have years of experience with the full spectrum of leukemia treatments. And we are world leaders in caring for children with relapsed leukemia or leukemia that has not responded to prior treatment.
The doctors on our team specialize in many important areas, including:
- stem cell transplantation
- hematopathology (laboratory study of blood diseases)
- radiology, including interventional radiology
- radiation oncology
Did you know?
Treatment protocols used at DF/CHCC offer the best published cure rates for children with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). These protocols were designed by our own physician experts, and are used by numerous institutions in both the United States and Canada.
Diagnosis & treatment
We offer comprehensive consultation services for children and families at crucial points in the treatment journey:
- at the time of diagnosis
- during therapy
- at the point of relapse, if applicable
- during follow-up over the long term
Our services include:
expert hematopathologic evaluation (laboratory study)
advanced diagnostic techniques including flow cytometry, molecular testing to screen for specific chromosomal abnormalities and specialized methods to detect minimal residual disease (levels of disease that cannot be seen under a microscope)
the best available leukemia treatment options for newly diagnosed patients
innovative treatment options for relapsed leukemia or recurring leukemia, including:
- leukemia clinical trials testing new and promising therapies identified by our laboratories
- leukemia clinical trials available only at a limited number of institutions in the United States
access to the most current research studies via Children’s Oncology Group
individualized leukemia treatment plans tailored to your child’s needs
an internationally recognized pediatric stem cell transplant program for leukemia patients who require this therapy
- a Pediatric Advanced Care Team with expertise in compassionate, family-centered palliative care and symptom management
Additional support services we give our patients include:
- psychologists and social workers available for all patients, siblings and parents
- resource specialists to help families get cancer support and apply for assistance from cancer-related organizations and relevant federal and local programs
- complementary therapies consultation and treatments integrated into the comprehensive care plan
- infectious disease physicians who specialize in the care of cancer patients
- specialists in managing cancer pain
- the services of other adult and pediatric subspeciality physicians as needed, including experts in cardiology, pulmonology, endocrinology, reproductive and gynecologic services, neurology, anesthesia, dermatology, nutrition and physical therapy
Groundbreaking clinical trials
Our program offers many leukemia clinical trials for various types of leukemia, including relapsed leukemia.