Stem Cell Transplantation Program
We understand a cancer diagnosis is incredibly difficult, and we are always available to offer a consultation or second opinion for your child. If your child has a diagnosis of leukemia and you’re seeking a second opinion, please contact our program at 1-888-PEDI-ONC (1-888-733-4662) or (617) 632-5508.
To help us conduct a precise evaluation, it’s important we receive a full summary of your child's initial diagnosis. This includes any laboratory or pathology reports, any x-rays, radiographic or MRI images, as well as a list of any previous treatments your child may have received.
Please have as much of the following information gathered as possible when you call or bring it with you to your appointment:
- your child’s date of birth
- parent or guardian contact information
- insurance information
Complete clinical summary
- physician's name and contact information
- diagnosis, or working diagnosis, and list of presenting symptoms
- MRI/CAT scan films
- pathology slides and reports
- operative note, if surgery was performed
- radiation therapeutic summary, if radiation was delivered
- copy of protocol, if chemotherapy was administered
- comprehensive list of previous chemotherapeutic agents, with dates and doses, if chemotherapy was administered
- HLA typing on patient and family members
On the day of your consultation, you should expect to spend most of the day here. All patients coming for second opinion are seen by the appropriate oncology staff physician. You may also see an oncology fellow, the radiation oncologist and/or the surgeon.
After the initial evaluation, we’ll meet with you to have a thorough discussion of the diagnosis, any further testing and recommended treatment. We’ll also discuss our recommendations with your referring physician.