Fanconi Anemia and Bone Marrow Failure Multidisciplinary Clinic
Bone marrow failure means that the body can’t produce enough blood cells. Bone marrow failure syndromes include:
- inherited bone marrow failure disorders, such as Fanconi anemia
- acquired bone marrow failure disorders, such as aplastic anemia
Fanconi anemia and bone marrow failure syndromes are serious inherited and acquired blood disorders that worsen over time and require ongoing treatment from a team of pediatric medical and surgical specialists.
At the Dana-Farber/Children's Hospital Cancer Center Fanconi Anemia and Bone Marrow Failure Multidisciplinary Clinic, our team provides compassionate, patient and family-centered care to children with Fanconi anemia and bone marrow failure syndromes.
- hematologists and bone marrow failure specialists
- dental surgeons
- hand surgeons
- social workers
Here at DF/CHCC, we consider you and your child integral parts of the care team and not simply recipients of care. We will work with your family to customize a plan of care for your child.
Conditions treated by our specialists in the Fanconi Anemia and Bone Marrow Failure Multidisciplinary Clinic include:
- aplastic anemia
- amegakaryocytic thrombocytopenia
- cyclic neutropenia
- Diamond-Blackfan anemia
- dyskeratosis congenita
- Fanconi anemia
- Pearson syndrome
- severe congenital neutropenia
- Schwachman-Diamond syndrome
- thrombocytopenia absent radii
- other bone marrow failure syndromes
Children with certain types of bone marrow failure, including myelodysplastic syndrome and myeloproliferative disorders, may be treated through our Myelodysplastic Syndromes Specialty Care Program. For more information, visit our program page.
Why choose us?
We offers a wide variety of resources for our patients.
- Our multidisciplinary team provides comprehensive, personalized treatment to each patient and family.
- Every specialist on our team has intimate knowledge about the implications of bone marrow failure in their medical specialty area.
- We practice patient and family-centered care. This includes coordinating a comprehensive visit with our team as well as providing access to important specialty services like psychosocial support.
- We provide advanced quality-assured diagnostic services, as well as DNA mutation identification through our CAP/CLIA-certified laboratory.
- As one of the nation’s premier pediatric bone marrow failure research centers, we continually investigate and offer new and advanced treatment options.
We know that getting a rapid, accurate diagnosis is of utmost importance for you and the health of your child. In addition to standard blood tests and bone marrow exams, our services include:
- DEB testing and retrovirus complementation analysis coordinated with experts at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- DNA mutation identification through our CAP/CLIA-certified laboratory at Children’s Hospital Boston