Preparing your child
A visit to the dentist can cause anxiety and stress in children. To ease their fears we recommend the following:
- Read books about the dentist with them.
- Watch dental related videos.
- Talk about the upcoming visit.
- Be relaxed while discussing the visit with your child. Any anxiety or unease on your part will be sensed by your child.
- Do not use words that might frighten them (drill, hurt, needle or pull.)
- Avoid statements like "the doctor won't hurt you."
The following are possible descriptions that you can give your child as to what will happen at the dental visit:
- We are going to see a doctor who counts teeth, the dentist.
- When you get there the dentist's helper (dental assistant) will show you a special chair and a camera that takes pictures of your teeth.
- Then the dentist will tickle your teeth and count them.
- Going to the Dentist (First Experiences) by Anne Civardi
- Show Me Your Smile! : A Visit to the Dentist (Dora the Explorer) by Christine Ricci
- What to Expect When You Go to the Dentist (What to Expect Kids) by Heidi Murkoff
- Caillou at the Dentist (Out and About) by Johanne Mercier
- My Little Friend Goes to the Dentist by Evelyn Finnegan, Diane R. Houghton