Psychiatry Consultation Service
Who we are
Children’s Hospital Boston is a renowned leader in all aspects of child and adolescent psychiatry. Our experienced clinicians deliver compassionate, family-centered care that always treats your child as an individual, first and foremost.
When a child is admitted to Children's for a medical condition, feelings of anxiety, sadness, stress, fear and even anger are common for both the patient and the family. Our Psychiatry Consultation Service provides expert mental health and counseling support for children, parents and other family members confronting the strain of chronic illness and hospitalization.
View and download our brochure (Adobe Acrobat required)
Services we provide
Children's Psychiatry Consultation Service is an inpatient program that supports patients admitted to the hospital and their families by offering:
- diagnostic evaluations
- short-term therapeutic interventions
- crisis management for patients and parents
- medication evaluations and treatment
- training in healthy coping skills for the whole family
- educational sessions focusing on the relationship between physical illness and psychological distress
- coordination of care with members of the child’s medical treatment team
The hospitalized children we treat are often dealing with a number of challenges and concerns, including:
- adjustment to a new medical diagnosis
- anxiety and depression tied to chronic illness and the necessity of a hospital stay
- concerns about anesthesia
- coping with a chronic medical condition
- dealing with the aftermath of a traumatic event
- eating disorders
- fear of needles or other medical procedures
- management of ongoing pain
- preparing for medical procedures or surgery
Among the many services we offer are:
- comprehensive assessments of patients and families
- teaching children helpful behavioral techniques to ensure they follow their medical treatment plans
- if necessary, referring children and families to outpatient psychiatric and counseling services
- if necessary, transferring children into more intensive levels of inpatient psychiatric care
Did you know?
Children’s is leading the way in calling for mental health reform across Massachusetts
In 2006, Children’s co-authored a paper, “Children’s Mental Health in the Commonwealth: The Time is NOW” that highlighted the critical need for increased, improved and revitalized mental health services for Massachusetts children and families. Today, Children’s is working closely with other health providers, nonprofit organizations, educators and parent groups to advocate for a comprehensive reform of the state’s mental health system. Learn more about our efforts.