Autism Language Program
Boston Children's Hospital Rehabilitation Engineering Centers
Dr. Stephen Hawking visits Boston Children's Hospital Rehabilitation Engineering Centers (RERCs) who carry out research by developing and disseminating innovative methods of applying advanced technology to solve rehabilitation problems and to study new and emerging technologies and products.
The AAC-RERC is the first virtual RERC in the country, allowing for collaboration among the leaders in the field of augmentative and alternative communication. As a partner in the AAC-RERC, Howard C. Shane, PhD focuses on using AAC with children with autism.
The mission of the AAC-RERC is to assist people who rely on augmentative and alternative communication to achieve their goals by advancing and promoting AAC technologies and supporting the individuals who use, manufacture, and recommend them.
The work of the AAC-RERC focuses on:
- Enhancing Access for Users with Cognitive/Linguistic Limitations
- Supporting the Societal Roles of People Who Use AAC
- AAC Simulation and Performance
- Usability, Learnability, and Acceptance of AAC Technology
- Connecting AAC Technology More Seamlessly to the World
- New Interface Technologies for Persons Not Well-Served by Current AAC Systems
Please visit the AAC-RERC website for more information.