With our transport team and expert care, Boston Children's Hospital brings the same level of excellence to trauma care that we bring to all our specialties and research fields. As with many of our clinical practice areas, our approach takes place along a continuum of education, prevention, access, care and improvement.
Our involvement with traumatic injury begins long before the arrival of critical care personnel on the scene. It starts with an ongoing initiative to teach parents and kids the best ways to prevent injury—and continues with leading-edge research until patients have achieved their maximum long-term recovery.
- provide the most advanced pediatric trauma care available anywhere
- provide safe transportation for critically ill children
- prevent childhood injuries through our Injury Prevention Program
- provide educational programs to physicians, nurses, emergency response personnel, radiology technologists and allied health professionals throughout Massachusetts on the proper care and treatment for children who have been injured
- evaluate and treat children who've suffered a traumatic brain injury through our Brain Injury Center
Trauma Outreach Program
Children's Trauma Outreach Program serves as a link between our hospital and the health care community. We provide comprehensive, timely follow-up on trauma admissions to referring facilities and patient care providers (PCPs).
The Program also dispenses educational materials, both locally and regionally. This resource gives referrers the opportunity to increase their knowledge of current evidence-based practice when caring for pediatric trauma patients.
Child Passenger Safety Program
From "seat check" events in our local communities ... to a hospital-wide Car Seat Program ... to our nurses' assessments of families' car seat needs ... to teaming up with police, firefighters and car seat manufacturers—Children's is dedicated to making sure that your little passengers are safe in the family car!
Our Social Work Department
At Children's, we understand that hospitalization, illness or traumatic injury is a stressful experience. Our clinical social workers work closely with the Trauma Team to help our patients and their families deal with the broad range of psychosocial issues and stresses related to coping with illness and maintaining health.