Gerhard K. Wolf, MD
Gerhard Wolf, MD
|Hospital Title||Associate in Critical Care Medicine|
|Academic Title||Assistant Professor of Anaesthesia, Harvard Medical School|
|Gerhard K. Wolf|
320 Longwood Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Focus of Dr. Wolf's research:
- Novel modes of ventilation in pediatric respiratory failure
- Means of assessing lung volume in critically ill patients
- Regional distribution of ventilation in children with acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Means of assessing regional lung volume in critically ill patients with the use of noninvasive imaging such as Electrical Impedance Tomography (EIT).
- Guiding mechanical ventilation in children with acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) with non-invasive imaging.
- Reduce ventilator associated lung injury (VILI) in critically ill children with ARDS.
- Advancing novel modes of mechanical ventilation in clinical practice including Neurally Adjusted Ventilator Assist (NAVA), High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation (HFOV), and Partial Liquid Ventilation.
- Measure and identify regional lung injury using Electrical Impedance Tomography (EIT).
- Guide mechanical ventilation using EIT to improve outcomes in children with ARDS.
Translational implications of research:
Our work is particular important since ARDS is a heterogeneous disease, and different areas in the lung are associated with atelectasis and overdistension, potentially leading to additional lung injury during mechanical ventilation. While ventilator support of ARDS is lifesaving, ventilator associated lung injury (VALI) adds significantly to the morbidity and mortality of patients with acute lung injury.
- Wolf GK, Gomez-Laberge C, Kheir JN, Zurakowski D, Walsh BK, Adler A and Arnold JH. Reversal of Dependent Lung Collapse Predicts Response to Lung Recruitment in Children with Early Acute Lung Injury. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2012 May 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Adler A, Amato MB, Arnold JH, Bayford R, Bodenstein M, Böhm SH, Brown BH, Frerichs I, Stenqvist O, Weiler N, Wolf GK. Whither lung EIT: where are we, where do we want to go, and what do we need to get there? Physiol Meas. 2012 Apr 24; 33(5):679-694. [Epub ahead of print]
- Grychtol, B, Lionheart RB, Bodenstein M, Wolf GK, Adler A: Impact of Model Shape Mismatch on Reconstruction Quality in Electrical Impedance Tomography. IEE Trans Biomed Eng 2012, in press.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH, Soriano SG: Specific aspects of positioning and fluid, glucose control and temperature management in children undergoing neurosurgical procedures. In: Essentials of Neurosurgical Anesthesia & Critical Care. Editors: Brambrink A, Kirsch J. Springer, New York; 2012, p. 457-462.
- Gomez-Laberge C, Arnold JH, Wolf GK. A Unified Approach for EIT Imaging of Regional Overdistension and Atelectasis in Acute Lung Injury. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2012 Mar;31(3):834-42. Epub 2012 Jan 10.
- Rettig, JS, Wolf GK: Inhaled Nitric Oxide only Leads to a Transient Improvement of Oxygenation in Patients with Acute Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure. Pediatr Pulmonol; 2011, Aug; 46 (8):733-5
- Gómez -Laberge C, Wolf GK: Toward individualized treatment of ARDS: response-guided mechanical ventilation. Pediatr Crit Care Med; 2011 Nov;12 (6):690-2.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH: Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. In: Manual of Neonatal Care. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011, p. 454-462.
- Ventre KM, Wolf GK, Arnold JH: Pediatric Respiratory Diseases: Update for the Rogers’ Textbook of Pediatric Intensive Care. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2011; 12(3):325-38.
- Green ML, Walsh BK, Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Electrocardiographic guidance for the placement of gastric feeding tubes. Respir Care. 2011; 56(4):467-71
- Wolf GK, Walsh BK, Green ML, Arnold JH. Electrical Activity of the Diaphragm during Extubation Readiness Testing in Critically Ill Children. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2011 Nov;12 (6):e220-4.
- Wolf GK, Frakes MA, Gallagher M, Allan CK, Wedel SK. Management of suspected myocarditis during critical care transport. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2010; 26(7):512-7.
- Wolf GK, Grychtol B, Boyd T, Zurakowski D and Arnold JH. Regional overdistension identified with electrical impedance tomography in the perflubron-treated lung. Physiol Meas 2010; 31(8):85-95. Epub 2010 Jul 21.
- Grychtol B, Wolf GK, Adler A and Arnold JH. Towards lung EIT image segmentation: automatic classification of lung tissue state from analysis of EIT monitored recruitment manoeuvres. Physiol Meas 2010; 31(8):S31-43. Epub 2010 Jul 21.
- Wolf GK, Grychtol B, Frerichs I, Zurakowski D, Arnold JH. Regional Lung Volume Changes during High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2010; 11(5):610-5.
- Grychtol B, Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Differences in regional pulmonary pressure-impedance curves before and after lung injury assessed with a novel algorithm. Physiol Meas. 2009;30(6):137-148.
- Adler A, Arnold JH, Bayford R, Borsic A, Brown B, Dixon P, Faes TJ, Frerichs I, Gagnon H, Garber Y, Grychtol B, Hahn G, Lionheart W, Malik A, Patterson RP, Stocks J. Tizzard A, Weiler N and Wolf GK. GREIT: a unified approach to 2D linear EIT reconstruction of lung images. Physiol Meas, 2009;30(6):35-55.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Assessing the benefits of noninvasive ventilation: The tissue is the issue. Crit Care Med. 2008;36(1):349-50.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. A (large) step towards lung protection. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2008;9(1):127-8.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Electrical Impedance Tomography. In: Current Concepts in Pediatric Critical Care. Mount Prospect (IL): Society of Critical Care Medicine; 2008. p.103-5.
- Heulitt MJ, Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Mechanical Ventilation. In: The Rogers Textbook of Pediatric Intensive Care. Editor: Nichols, DG. Baltimore: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins; 2008. p. 508-531.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (Chapter 24D). In: Manual of Neonatal Care. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008. p. 346-352.
- Wolf GK, Sheeran P, Heitz D, Thompson JE, Arnold JH. Gas exchange and lung mechanics during high frequency ventilation in the perflubron-treated lung. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2008;9(6):641-6.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Measurement of deadspace compartments: On the road to somewhere. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2007;8(4):408-9.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. High-frequency oscillation in pediatric respiratory failure. Pediatric and Child Health. 2007;17(3): 77-81.
- Wolf GK, Grychtol B, Frerichs I, van Genderingen HR, Zurakowski D, Thompson JE, Arnold JH. Regional lung volume changes in children with acute respiratory distress syndrome during a derecruitment maneuver. Crit Care Med. 2007;35(8):1972-8.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Electrical impedance tomography: ready for prime time? Intensive Care Med. 2006;32(9):1290-2.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Assessment of alveolar recruitment: new approaches. In: Yearbook of Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine. Springer-Verlag; 2005. p. 116-128.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Noninvasive assessment of lung volume: respiratory inductance plethysmography and electrical impedance tomography. Crit Care Med. 2005;33(3 Suppl): 163-9.