John Arnold, MD
Dr. Arnold's research interests encompass novel modes of ventilation in pediatric respiratory failure, the pathophysiology of acute lung injury, and modes of lung protective ventilation (particularly partial liquid breathing). He has recently helped to develop a non-invasive imaging technology called Electrical Impedance Tomography, which offers the ability to quantify lung volume changes during mechanical ventilation. He receives grant support from Viasys Critical Care and Synthetic Blood International and is the institutional PI for a multicenter trial of Prone Positioning in Pediatric Acute Lung Injury.
- Curley MAQ, Fineman LD, Cvijanovich N, Grant MJC, Shih MC, Wypij D, Thompson JE, Barr R, Sorce L, Luckett P, Hibberd PL, Matthay MA, Arnold JH. Effect of prone positioning on clinical outcomes in children with acute lung injury: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2005;294:229-237.
- Randolph AG, Forbes P, Gedeit RG, Arnold JH, Wetzel R, Luckett PM, O?Neil ME, Venkataraman ST, Meert KL, Cheifetz IM, Cox PN, Hanson JH for the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigator?s (PALISI) Network. Cumulative fluid intake minus output is not associated with ventilator weaning duration or extubation outcomes in children. Ped Crit Care Med 2005;6:642-647.
- Curley MAQ, Harris SK, Fraser K, Johnson R, Arnold JH. State Behavioral Scale (SBS): A Sedation Assessment Instrument for Infants and Young Children Supported on Mechanical Ventilation. Ped Crit Care Med 2006; 7:107-114.
- Curley MAQ, Arnold JH, Thompson JE, Fackler JC, Grant MJ, Fineman LD, Cvijanovich N, Barr FE, Molitor-Kirsch S, Steinhorn DM, Matthay MA, Hibberd PL. Clinical Trial Design - Effect of prone positioning on clinical outcomes in infants and children with acute respiratory distress syndrome. J Crit Care 2006; 21:23-32.
- Mehta NM, Halwick DR, Dodson BL, Thompson JE, Arnold JH. Potential drug sequestration during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) - results from an ex vivo experiment. Intensive Care Medicine 2007;33:1018-1024.
- Wolf GK, Grychtol B, van Genderingen H, Zurakowski D, Thompson JE, Arnold JH. Regional lung volume changes in children with acute respiratory distress syndrome during a derecruitment maneuver. Crit Care Med 2007;35:1972-1978.
- Wolf GK, Sheeran P, Heitz D, Thompson JE, Arnold JH. Gas exchange and lung mechanics during high frequency ventilation in the perflubron-treated lung. Ped Crit Care Med 2008;9:641-646.
- Adler A, Arnold JH, Bayford R, Borsic A, Brown B, Dixon P, Faes TJC, Frerichs I, Gagnon H, Garber Y, Grychtol B, Hahn G, Lionheart WRB, Malik A, Patterson RP, Stocks J, Tizzard A, Weiler N, Wolf GK.GREIT: a unified approach to 2D linear EIT reconstruction of lung images. Physiol Meas 2009;30:S35-S55.
- Grychtol B, Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Differences in pulmonary pressure-impedance curves before and after lung injury assessed with a novel algorithm. Physiol Meas 2009;30: S137-S148.
- Turner DA, Heitz D, Zurakowski D, Arnold JH. Automated measurement of the lower inflection point in a pediatric lung model. . Ped Crit Care Med, in press.
- Ventre KM, Arnold JH. Acute parenchymal disease in infants and children, in Fink MB, Abraham A, Vincent J-L, Kochanek PM (eds.), Textbook of Critical Care (5th edition), Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2005, 707-718.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Non-invasive assessment of lung volume: respiratory inductance plethysmography and electric impedance tomography. Crit Care Med 2005;33:S163-S169.
- Mehta NM, Arnold JH. Sublingual capnometry in pediatric patients. Yearbook of Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2005, 537-550.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Assessment of alveolar recruitment: new approaches. Yearbook of Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2005, 116-128.
- Vitali SH, Arnold JH. Bench-to-bedside review: Ventilator strategies to reduce lung injury- lessons from pediatric and neonatal intensive care. Critical Care 2005;9:177-183.
- Vitali SH, Camerota AJ, Arnold JH. Anesthesia and analgesia, in Avery GB, Fletcher MA, MacDonald MG (eds.), Neonatology: Pathophysiology and Management of the Newborn (6th Edition), J.B. Lippincott, Philadelphia, 2005, 1557-1571.
- Mehta NM, Arnold JH. Genetic polymorphisms in ARDS: New approach to an old problem. Critical Care Medicine 2005;33:2443-2445.
- Arnold JH, Fackler JC. Anesthetic principles and operating room anesthesia regimens, in Fuhrman BP, Zimmerman JJ (eds.), Pediatric Critical Care (3rd edition), C.V. Mosby, St. Louis, 2006, 1719-1728.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Electrical Impedance Tomography- ready for prime time? Intensive Care Medicine 2006;32:1290-1292.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. High-frequency oscillation in pediatric ventilatory failure. Paediatrics and Child Health 2007; 17: 77-81.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Measurement of dead space compartments: On the road to somewhere. Pediatric Crit Care Med 2007;8: 408-409.
- Turner DA, Arnold JH. Insights in Pediatric Ventilation: Timing of Intubation, Ventilatory Strategies, and Weaning. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2007;13:57-63.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Assessing the benefits of noninvasive ventilation: The tissue is the issue. Crit Care Med 2008: 36: 349-350
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. A (Large) Step Toward Improved Lung Protection. Pediatric Crit Care Med 2008; 9:127-128.
- Heulitt MJ, Wolf GK, Arnold JH: Mechanical Ventilation, in Nichols DG (ed.), Rogers? Textbook of Pediatric Intensive Care, 4th Edition, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 2008, 508-532.
- Ventre KM, Arnold JH. Acute Lung Injury and the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, in Nichols DG (ed.), Rogers? Textbook of Pediatric Intensive Care, 4th Edition, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 2008, 731-753.
- Ventre KM, Arnold JH. Acute Lung Injury and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: Contemporary Management Strategies, in Shanley TP (ed.), Current Concepts in Pediatric Critical, 2008.
- Wolf GW, Arnold JH. Electrical Impedance Tomography, in Shanley TP (ed.), Current Concepts in Pediatric Critical, 2008.
- Ventre KM, Arnold JH. High frequency oscillatory ventilation, in Wheeler DS, Wong HR, Shanley TP, Pediatric Critical Care Medicine: Basic Science and Clinical Evidence, Springer-Verlag, in press.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Respiratory Disorders: ECMO, in Cloherty JP, Stark AR, Eichenwald E (eds). Manual of Neonatal Care (6th edition), Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, in press.
- Turner DA, Arnold JH. Improving Our Approach to Sedation in the ICU: Is it Time to Inhale? Pediatric Crit Care Med, in press.
- Ibla JC, Arnold JH. In Georg Hansmann (ed.) Neonatal Emergencies: A Practical Guide For Resuscitation, Transport and Critical Care Of Newborn Infants, in press.
- Wolf GK, Soriano SG, Arnold JH: Specific aspects of positioning, fluid, glucose control and temperature management. In: Perioperative Complications in Neurosurgical Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine. Springer, New York; 2009, in press.
- Wolf GK, Arnold JH. Synchronizing ventilatory support with the neural signal to breathe. Pediatric Crit Care Med, in press.