Office of Faculty Development
Cultural Competency and Diversity
In support of its mission to promote faculty diversity, the OFD has developed a multi-dimensional strategy that encompasses comprehensive communication vehicles; fosters academic promotion, professional guidance, and career satisfaction; and establishes a "Climate of Success" through mentoring, skills-building workshops, and dedicated resources. The Office of Faculty Development works collaboratively with the Children's Diversity and Cultural Competency Council to support their mutual goals. Recognizing that physician diversity is a national issue and that "pipeline programs" are crucial, the Office collaborates with Children's Hospital Office of Fellowship Training; Harvard Medical School Office of Recruitment and Multicultural Affairs; and the Office for Diversity and Community Partnership and several national initiatives. Among programs for minority faculty and fellows at Children's Hospital:
- Fellowships for underrepresented minorities, co-sponsored by the Basic Science and Clinical Research Executive Committees, with annual celebration to honor recipients and increase visibility.
- Children's Hospital corporate sponsorship in the Partnership Program, a Boston area program providing year-long forums, mentoring, and other professional development opportunities for professionals of color. The Office of Faculty Development supports the applications of faculty members. Most recently, Children's Hospital nominated Lois Lee, MD, Instructor in Pediatrics; Mary Frances Lopez, PhD, Instructor in Pediatrics; and Sharon Redd, MD, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia, to participate in the 2008 program.
- Quarterly series of minority faculty and fellow lunches: these lunches covered needs assessment, mentoring strategies, topics of interest.
- Annual minority faculty, fellow, and HMS student observance of MLK Day, honoring a minority faculty or fellow, who exemplifies the ideals of MLK, Jr.
- The Office of Faculty Development disseminates information from Harvard Medical School concerning fellowships and opportunities from the HMS Minority Faculty Development Program.